You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Save Document ... 2.2.1 Affinity Photo

I've just lost hours of critical work after "Save failed because ownership of the file could not be verified. The document must now be closed."

I re-edited the image. An early save worked. A later save didn't.

To say I'm unhappy would be an understatement.

Version 2.2.1 Affinity Photo

Edit: I tried resaving the original image (a jpg) with different algorithm (Lanczos) and restarted edit. I saved at regular points along the way. Eventually I hit the same barrier. I exported the original jpg as tiff and restarted, with the same effect. I also hit the same problem with a separate image which was a RAW .NEF file.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Presumably you mean 2.1.1.

As always, the first question must be "where were you saving the file"?

Ideally, to a local drive that is not managed by a Cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Presumably you mean 2.1.1.

As always, the first question must be "where were you saving the file"?

Ideally, to a local drive that is not managed by a Cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Yes, 2.1.1.

Saved to pCloud, a Swiss service and has proved very reliable. How might saving to a server cause such a problem?

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

2 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

How might saving to a server cause such a problem?

Saving directly to servers is well-known to cause problems. I have no idea what functions pCloud provides, or how it works, so I can't say anything specific about that one. But Serif has long recommended saving to, and opening from, a local copy of the file and then later copying back to the cloud.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Saving directly to servers is well-known to cause problems. I have no idea what functions pCloud provides, or how it works, so I can't say anything specific about that one. But Serif has long recommended saving to, and opening from, a local copy of the file and then later copying back to the cloud.

It's a new one on me and I'm still puzzled as to what exactly might be going on. I've not heard of this happening with other applications. It would be enormously helpful if AP is unable to save remotely that it gave you an option to save locally rather than crashing out.

Nevertheless I'm grateful for the knowledge and will follow your advice, Walt. Thanks!

Dave Straker

On 6/22/2023 at 4:05 PM, dmstraker said:

It would be enormously helpful if AP is unable to save remotely that it gave you an option to save locally rather than crashing out.

For the failure you experienced, I agree.

There are other failures where that is not possible, e.g. where the complete file has not been read into memory, yet, and needs to be fully read before the app would be able to Save anyplace else. And I can conceive of scenarios where that might apply even for the message you got.

Cloud services can operate in many ways, and there are things they can do that will cause problems. Some examples:

• Some services may rename the local files during their processing, which will cause a problem if an application like one of the Affinity apps creates the file initially, then Opens it, then writes into it. The cloud client may perform the rename after file creation, but before the Open, causing the Open to fail.
  • Or, similarly, the cloud client may lock the local file during their processing, and then the Affinity app may experience a failure trying to Open, or trying to write.

-- Walt
PC: