You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting & masking shadows

I photograph images of paintings and drawings and prepare them for publishing on the web. I prefer to have the image edges pure white so that the image doesn't appear to have a border on a white web page, but I do want to preserve their shadows against the wall they're photographed on, without resorting to fake drop shadows. See the before and after pix attached.

My technique is to hand-select the edges of the artwork – just barely 'cropping' the edge; invert the selection to select just the wall; create a pure white levels layer; then use different paintbrushes to reveal the edge and the shadow (it usually takes 4 different custom brushes). Note that in the final (rightmost) image, there appears to be no wall, but the shadows are (more or less) accurate.

The question is: is there an easier way to do this, especially the selection part? Unfortunately, I usually can't use the flood select tool to select the wall, since it and the artwork are usually too close in value / color. I considered shooting against a green screen (for easier selection), but then I'd have green shadows :) Any ideas?Screenshot2023-06-20at1_48_16PM.thumb.png.3115f0328d520ec0948b531e1414f2ed.png

1 hour ago, harryjsaddler said:

without resorting to fake drop shadows

Your call but some of the fakes can look pretty good and it's a darn sight  easier with a hard crop and css shadows

PaintingBorders.jpg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thanks, David! I agree, that looks pretty good. How about this one? This painting is on a 2" deep stretcher, so the shadow makes that evident to the viewer.Screenshot2023-06-21at11_41_54AM.png.e6cce906d9295b44e70df735c35fa9e4.png

This one is on a cigar box…

image.png.19f5ddafe6a0f12fd2b9f388c01c9cbb.png

And then there are works on paper with ragged edges, which are a pain to select:

image.png.da7902451bc9fb1876f99e361d0568f3.pngd

I don't see why the first image can't have a box shadow like the one above it, the cigar box is a cinch to cut out with the pen, no idea about wobbly edges. At the end of the day, images on a web page are only going to approximate what you'd see in a gallery. It's a case of experimentation but I prefer speed using a hard crop and css rather than struggling to select the flamin' thing. Patience is a virtue I'm a bit short of. Actually I've scanned the bottom edge, a couple of ideas in the svg. The screenshot shows a hard crop with the bottom edge replaced. Needs more work but might be an idea

PaintingBorders2.jpg

PaintingBorders3.jpg

WobblyEdges.svg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10