You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 Animation

Hello, I am working on a personal art project and am trying to make some animated images.  I know Affinity Photo doesn't have this function (I would be using a different program to animate the frames together.)  but I was wondering if there is a way to create the frames using a batch job or with the macros.   

For example   If I want to make an animation of the ripple filter intensity and have the macro that creates a new layer then applies the ripple filter and adds more ripple every time.  I could go through and do this manually once and save the macro but is there a way to just have it add the effect n+1 kind of thing. 

The other way I was wondering if it would work is through a batch job.  Maybe I could duplicate my base image X amount of times and then the batch would just add the filter increasingly and save each new frame/Image.

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Thank you for the help

What about a macro that
Applies the Filter/Distort/Ripple
Duplicates the layer

Then run the macro as many times as you want to create umpteen layers/animation frames
Use the Export persona to create slices of all layers then export them

NasaRipple.jpg

RippleDuplicate.afmacro

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Well as you already know APh itself doesn't support the creation of any animated image (aka combining several single images with an setup duration into any commonly used animated image file format). - But what you could do is, place the single image frames into seperate layers and then on demand exporting all those seperate layers then as seperate GIFs (or WebPs), with let's say the help of the Export Persona into individual files. - So that you can afterwards use some third party animated GIF (WebP) tool in order to combine the individual files (in some order and given time duration) together into an animated GIF or WebP.

Macros might or can probably be used in some manner to create the seperate layers here, but I think it's still not really possible to save an export in a batch process as a macro!

In ADe you could/would make use Artboards instead of layers for the exporting of several drawn image states.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@David in Яuislip Thank you for the response.  Yes I do think that could work for the ripple effect.  I guess I was a bit unclear.  The ripple was just an example, there are a few other effects that have a rotational aspect to the filter such as motion blur.  That is more of what I am trying to change every layer/frame.   Somthing along the lines of this image also sorry I don't know how to change the size of the image.

spacer.png

Also @v_kyr I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "on demand exporting" for each layer.  That's a very interesting suggestion designer

1 hour ago, 11aadams said:

a rotational aspect to the filter such as motion blur.  That is more of what I am trying to change every layer/frame

That's a bit different from the accumulative ripple effect I considered
I think you'd need a macro that would use the original image, duplicate it, apply the motion blur with the eyes ticked so that you could change the angle manually every time, that would become very tedious very quickly
Best thing to learn about Photo macros is if at third you don't suceed, give up
I'd be inclined to use imagemagick -motion-blur radius{xsigma}+angle and change the parameters in a batch file

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

3 hours ago, 11aadams said:

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "on demand exporting" for each layer.

Exporting each doc layer (which contains an image part of the animation) then via the Export Persona as a single file!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2