You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2.10 and Photo 2.1 Bug exporting to a shared network folder

Hi, 

I think there is a common bug in both Designer and Photo (PC versions only - the Mac version of Designer works as expected without error). You can't Export a file (of any file type) to a network-shared folder. You get the error message "An error occurred while exporting to \\PC-NAME\folder-name\filename  The output folder could not be created"

I can Save As and save the .afdesign or .afphoto file to the same shared network folder, so it is not a Windows permission problem.

Please can you confirm that you can reproduce this bug and give me an idea of when it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Something else going on. I can export to my wife's machine with no issues

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

14 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Something else going on. I can export to my wife's machine with no issues

Thanks for giving this a test Rick. I have tried it myself on 3 different PCs, all exact same issue for me.

If it is not an Affinity bug then I wonder what the problem is?

I don't know that Affinity does not have an issue. But on my vast intricate network of 2 machines, I got away with it.

Windows networking is notoriously quirky and it smells like a networking issue ... but that is just an off hand shot in the dark

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

BUG source identified.

I thought it strange that this works for others and not me. I have done more testing today with firewalls and other ideas but they made no difference. I tested doing the same SVG file export to the same shared folder using CorelDraw 2019 and that worked fine. I have found out what the issue is and how to overcome the problem for Affinity Designer users. The problem for me is this has a major impact on my workflow.

To explain, I need to do this to export my SVG design files from one PC to another which is running Trotec Ruby laser engraver software. Files that appear in a specific folder are automatically imported into the Ruby software for engraving. The problem seems to be that Affinity Designer exhibits the original problem because of the filename used. The folder name in my case is dictated by the Trotec Ruby software and is an email address (e.g. "myname@domain.com".) This is what causes the Affinity Designer error. If I change to a normal folder name (e.g. TEST-FOLDER) then Affinity Designer saves the SVG file in that folder on the other machine without issue.

So this is a "bug" that Affinity can fix and I would really appreciate it if they could fix it for me.

I shall also pass this info on to Trotec support.

Thanks in advance

Paul