You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character Panel Not Displaying

The character panel does not display in my current version of Affinity Publisher 2.

In the online help, it mentions clicking on the "Panel Preferences menu."

Perhaps the problem is that no "Panel Preferences menu" icon is appearing anywhere in my current configuration.

What is wrong? How can I activate this panel?

Welcome to the forums @Timothy NEWFIELDS

You should be able to view the Character Panel via the “Window → Text → Character” menu item.

If that menu item is ticked (checked) then that panel should be somewhere on screen.

If the panels are thin, where they are docked, then its title might be “Chr” rather than “Character”.

If you were using the software on multiple monitors and are currently only using one screen then the panel could be on a screen which isn’t there at the moment. (Different fixes for this depending on which OS you are using.)

If you can give us a full-screen screenshot (for all of your active screens) then we can have a look to see if anything strange is going on.

Welcome to the forums @Stijm

I know this is a bit ‘off-topic’ but did you specifically want your menus to flow to the left, rather than the right?
I understand that some people want this for various reasons (left-handed, or maybe something to do with tablet usage) but I thought I’d ask just in case you would prefer them to be ‘right-flowing’ which is more usual.

Hey @GarryP, Thanks!
I see you answered to the question way more in depth!
Ever since I upgraded to Affinity 2 it has had the windows flow to the left which sometimes has me questioning if the sub-window even opened.
I was not aware this could even be changed! Ive got plenty of screen space, so if possible would love to have it flow to the left

Do you happen to know where I can adjust this?

You’re welcome.
I only know about this as the same thing happened to me when I first used Designer, my first Affinity application.
I think it only showed up for me in Designer because is was the first application I used which could handle tablet input – in other words, the ‘problem’ was already there but I didn’t see it until I was using the Affinity software.

9 hours ago, Timothy NEWFIELDS said:

In the online help, it mentions clicking on the "Panel Preferences menu."

The Panel Preferences menu is the three line 'burger' icon at the top right of the panel. It is not used to show or hide the panel, only to access its options once it is open. Currently the only options are Show Typography, Close, & Close Panel Group. More about this in the Character Panel help topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...