You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple SD Gothic Neo-Heavy and ExtraBold not working in all Affinity Apps V1/V2 (iPadOs 16.5)

Using these two font styles in other apps (Pages, Keynote, Goodnotes, ...) on iPad or MacOS works fine.

Using Apple SD Gothic Neo-Heavy and ExtraBold with Affinity V2 Apps on MacOS works fine.

All of the other Font styles (medium, etc) works fine with the Affinity Apps V2 on iPadOS and MacOS..

Any idea?

Thank you in forward, Marco

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1843.jpeg

On my iPad, Designer 2 and GoodNotes see the same set of Apple SD Gothic Neo font variations.

Designer 2:  

image.png

GoodNotes: 

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I recommend using a different font.
This family is going to be problem.

There are actually 18 styles in the TTC file (AppleSDGothicNeo.ttc).
9 Apple SD Gothic Neo - Light to Heavy
9 .Apple SD Gothic NeoI - which is an interface version of the same fonts

As is Apple's annoying habit, the fonts only use the old NameID 2 for the styles.
NameID 2 should only have Regular/Italic/Bold/BoldItalic - not ExtraBold, Heavy, etc.
My guess is that this is confusing the Affinity applications, so they show nothing.

Modern applications like Affinity use Typographic Family and Typographic Style.
These fonts do not have those names at all.

The fonts have 18,662 glyphs - most of that is for CJK scripts.
So the fonts are huge.

The most of the font features are in the Apple non-standard morx table.
Affinity applications only use standard OpenType features.
So you will not have acces to any of these "OpenType like" features.

The names in the CFF table are different than those in the name table.
This can cause issues with printers, imports, other applications, etc.

These fonts are a nightmare.
Tons of free open-source "gothic" fonts out there - suggest you use one of those.

First of all: @walt.farrell and @kenmcd Thanks for your engagement. 

@kenmcd: Thank you for the detailed explanation. I was not aware of the naming conventions and all the stuff around.

@walt.farrell: As you can see there are two more font styles in my list (heavy and extra bold). I am using the original Apple ttf and the styles work with Affinity Apps with MacOS.

For me it‘s confusing that affinity apps can handle the font styles with MacOS but not with iOS / iPadOS - and other apps can handle it overall - iOS, iPadOS and MacOS?!

So I would be happy if I could use an otf-Font (similar) with this variability with the apps over all AppleOS, but I don‘t know which.

I tried Open Sans but I couldn‘t install on iPadOS?!

And on the SD-Homepage (Korean) I couldn’t find how to buy (No subscription) the gt neo font (otf)?!

8 minutes ago, Sindbad_59 said:

For me it‘s confusing that affinity apps can handle the font styles with MacOS but not with iOS / iPadOS - and other apps can handle it overall - iOS, iPadOS and MacOS?!

Which other apps on the iPad are handling the "missing" variations?

I showed that Affinity apps are not the only iPad apps that don't include them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, Sindbad_59 said:

GoodNotes

Which is interesting, as I showed a screenshot above where those variations are not found. 

Have you installed those additional fonts on your iPad? They're not standard, based on my test.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you installed those additional fonts on your iPad? They're not standard, based on my test.

On macOS 13 Ventura they are all in one TTC file.
AppleSDGothicNeo.ttc (~27.1 MB)
Is that the same file you have on your iPad?

FontCreator (which I know you have) can extract all the TTF files (18).
But it does not name them properly, and you still have to open them one-by-one in FontCreator to get the correct names.
But you can check yourself if the files are there (18 TTFs).

Or you can send it to me via PM and I will check it for you.

9 hours ago, kenmcd said:

On macOS 13 Ventura they are all in one TTC file.
AppleSDGothicNeo.ttc (~27.1 MB)
Is that the same file you have on your iPad?

One cannot see the pre-installed font files on iPad (nor other system components), as they are not part of the file storage that is accessible to users.

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think the Apple SD Font was originally on my MacOS System. I can't remember to have it installed manually. If its originally on iPad? I don't know. I think by using it for example with Keynotes (MacOS) it is maybe also made available if I open up Keynote (iPadOS)? If I had installed it manually, I would only have used the original Apple ttf-files.

11 hours ago, kenmcd said:

But it does not name them properly, and you still have to open them one-by-one in FontCreator to get the correct names.

I didn‘t have to do anything to get the proper names. It was like in the screenshot up from first use.

I realized the missing font styles two month ago and tried to get it fixed. At the end I decided to post it here.

Today in the early morning I opened up the files again on my iPad, and as if by magic, the font styles are working without any change from my side?!

It seems to be true: when you talk about your problems, they solve themselves 🤔

Or maybe the latest auto-App-updates? Or whatever ...

I’m sorry that I obviously claimed you unnecessarily 😐

I think the thread can be closed?! 😊 

If you do have any questions you can contact me.