You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I made a post about this on Reddit and I was recommended to move over here instead.

I'm playing around with the free trial of the affinity suite before jumping off the Adobe bandwagon, but I seem to be having an issue that I'm not seeing many other places.

Mouse or tablet, I get this awful lag when trying to draw with the brush tool.  Even with no other applications running on my desktop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytCJtuLRWhk (Unlisted example video)

This computer has plenty of head room when using the program, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Other programs like Clip Studio and Photoshop work fine!

I'm using a Huion H610 PRO V2 tablet, in case that helps.

My Specs:

• 32 gigs of ram,
  • Ryzen 5 5600X,
  • RX 580 (8 gigs)

Solutions I have tried:

• Disabling Hardware Acceleration
  • Changing the Retina Rendering
  • Increasing the RAM limit
  • Reinstalling the program

Hi @nSurvance and welcome to the forum.

Change the entry under 'Tablet input method' (Edit -> Settings -> Tools).

There may also be corresponding settings in the Huion driver.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

39 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Hi @nSurvance and welcome to the forum.

Change the entry under 'Tablet input method' (Edit -> Settings -> Tools).

There may also be corresponding settings in the Huion driver.

I tried the other two options in this setting.  Setting it to Windows Inked might have had a marginal improvement but it's still pretty rough :(

• Staff

Hi @nSurvance,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & our apologies for the delayed response here!

I would recommend the following:

• Ensure that your GPU drivers are fully up-to-date, directly from AMDs website. 
  • Ensure that your Huion driver is fully up-to-date, directly from Huions website
  • (Assuming you have installed the MSIX version of the app), uninstall this version and try the EXE installer, available here - https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/2/
    Certain users have noted a performance improvement with the EXE version compared to the MSIX version.
  • With the EXE version, test with H.A. enabled/disabled and the multiple Tablet Input options within AFP - as mentioned above you should also check the Huion driver for relevant input methods, as occasionally having 'Windows INK' enabled in a tablet driver can cause issues within Affinity

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

29 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Hi Dan!

I did see a pretty substantial improvement this time!  a 300dpi 1080p canvas was running VERY well, especially with smaller brushes, about size 15 to 20.  I did still experience a little bit of lag if I made quick strokes with a brush size of about 50.  Is this common at the moment or is there even more potential fixes?

With this I can now confidently start to consider investing in Affinity once my trial period is over :)

• Staff

That's wonderful to hear, many thanks for letting me know!

1 hour ago, nSurvance said:

I did still experience a little bit of lag if I made quick strokes with a brush size of about 50.  Is this common at the moment or is there even more potential fixes?

As I understand it, there is a bug currently logged with our development team regarding multiple 'fast' strokes being made with the brush tool which is under investigation by our team - so we're hoping to improve this in a future update.

I would also suggest ensuring that you have the 'Paint Brush Tool' selected for regular painting, rather than the 'Paint Mixer Brush' as shown in your Youtube video above, as the Paint Mixer Brush is more intensive of a process and therefore will likely be slower than the Paint Brush Tool directly -

image.png

1 hour ago, nSurvance said:

With this I can now confidently start to consider investing in Affinity once my trial period is over :)

I'm certainly glad to hear this, and should you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask - or start a new thread as required :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!