You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Pattern Tool/Maker

My number one wish list for the next version of Affinity Designer is an easy pattern maker or an easy way to make seamless repeats. This would be a huge bonus for surface designers. Having to set up art boards and symbols and calculate offsets is just too cumbersome. This feature would finally allow me to ditch Photoshop (which as a fabulous pattern preview tool).

Thank you!

Perhaps a new form of Artboard with a well defined (pixel aligned) Pattern Area. This would allow you to place elements on the artboard, then move them around in the Pattern Area and if necessary they would be duplicated on the opposite side/corner.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Or even just a new kind of layer that enables you to set a defined pattern area which is then used to fill the canvas/artboard. You could then set the blend mode, change the opacity, and add additional layers above and below, etc.

Ideally this patterned area/fill would also support vector objects.

I need something that allows me to see the pattern evolve as I build it. I don't want to have to calculate off-sets!!!  If anyone has used the Photoshop Pattern Preview feature, they know exactly what I'm talking about and how powerful it is!!!  I will be holding off on my next Affinity upgrade until they have this feature. To me, this would be a major game chanter. 

The math has been done for Photo's Pattern Layer. So it isn't beyond the developers' capabilities.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.