You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher (Mac) cannot save a file.

Here’s the story - I have an old, but important document that I wanted to edit, but I only have it in a PDF format. I opened it in Publisher (no problem) and spent 3 or 4 hours editing it, but when I came to save it, no luck. I got an error message telling me it wasn’t able to Save to the File. (I’m using Publisher 2).

• The original PDF was not locked or Password protected.
  • I have tried to save it in multiple locations all with tons of storage space.
  • The drive permissions are all fine.
  • I have tried different file names.
  • I can export the file as a PDF.
  • I cannot save the file as a Publisher file.

What’s up?

Doug

Sorry, no, I found a work around because I couldn't wait. So, nothing worked originally ... Save, Save As, Package. 

So, what I did, because I had to get the job done, was to export my work as a pdf, cross my fingers and delete the file I was working on without saving, then open the pdf I just saved, in Publisher. I then tried (successfully) to save the file as a Publisher file. Finally, I rebuilt the Master Pages and deleted the unwanted elements on each page. A tad annoying, but it worked. 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear these options weren't working as expected - though I am glad to know you found a workaround to recover the file.

In regards to the cause of this, are you able to attach a copy of your PDF file that was opened to create this document originally? If you'd like a private upload link for this PDF file, please do let me know.

I assume the same issue does not occur when using File > New, or when importing other PDF files (as this is the method you mentioned above to 'rescue' this document)?

I’m sorry, Dan, but the document is confidential and cannot be shared. The only thing of note that I can add is that the file was stored in a confidential website directory and I downloaded it directly from that location into Publisher. Publisher then adopted the name of the downloaded file and would not allow me to change that name. Yes, before you ask, I did try saving the file to the original location, but it would not do as I commanded. 

Dan, I could go to the effort of recreating the problem from the get go, but I really don’t have the time or energy to do that right now. What I will always do from now when opening a PDF file in Publisher is to immediately rename it and export it as a pdf. Then I will open the new version again and get on with my task. 

• Staff

No problem at all, I certainly understand and I appreciate the information provided here - I will be sure to pass this info through to our QA team for further testing, as I'm not certain how we handle files from a website directory directly, to see if we can improve this behaviour in the future without the need to rename & export to PDF.

Many thanks :)