You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Photo V2 Mac desktop) Double-click brush in scrolling menu, Photo hangs

Just now updated from 2.0 to 2.0.4 this evening. Was really hoping they'd fixed that brush menu double-click lock-up bug. It's really quite nasty, and makes the software basically unusable. It's like walking into a booby trap. I'm able to deal with basically being forced to work in tabs, but this brush menu bug is a show-stopper.

When double-clicking a brush in the scrolling menu to bring up the width/etc adjustment panel, Photo throws up the spinning rainbow beach ball and goes for a lie-down, requiring me to force-quit.

The clumsy UI design decision re: the Big Frame That Won't Go Away And The Non-Detachable Toolbar is something I can work with, but this bug makes V2 pretty much unusable.

Will this ever be fixed?

Here's part of the bug report transmitted to Apple, if it means anything:

Date/Time:        2023-05-04 21:39:57.623 -0400
End time:         2023-05-04 21:41:48.369 -0400
OS Version:       macOS 12.6.2 (Build 21G320)
Architecture:     arm64e
Report Version:   35.1
Incident Identifier: 025B1725-F537-4813-AA9B-58C905D248BD

Data Source:      Stackshots
Shared Cache:     BE7FE6AD-4560-3AE2-883E-432F78B45062 slid base address 0x1b07cc000, slide 0x307cc000
Shared Cache:     075C518A-CD16-346D-A539-3A4D45B847A6 slid base address 0x19932c000, slide 0x1932c000
Shared Cache:     DF545CF0-AB3D-34B5-900B-63364D9C86AB slid base address 0x7ff80fce8000, slide 0xfce8000

Command:          Affinity Photo 2
Path:             /Applications/Affinity Photo 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Photo 2
Identifier:       com.seriflabs.affinityphoto2
Version:          2.0.4 (2.0.4.326)
Team ID:          6LVTQB9699
Architecture:     arm64
Parent:           launchd [1]
PID:              2744
Time Since Fork:  224s

Event:            hang
Duration:         110.75s
Duration Sampled: 1.90s (process was unresponsive for 109 seconds before sampling)
Steps:            19 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model:   Macmini9,1
Active cpus:      8
HW page size:     16384
VM page size:     16384

Time Awake Since Boot: 45707s
Time Since Wake:  n/a (machine hasn't slept)

• Staff

Hi @Mike Swartzbeck,

In v2.0.4 and previous versions, there is a known is on Mac where if you attempt to edit a pre-supplied brush in the 'Gouaches' category which had been edited during a previous app session, this would prevent any further edits being made to that brush and result in an app hang. This issue sounds somewhat similar to what you're experiencing, and has been fixed in the 2.1 beta.

Could you confirm if you're experiencing these same problems when editing a brush in the Photo 2.1 beta? This installs as a separate app along side the release apps, I've provided a link below to where you can join and download the beta.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/

If it's still occurring in the beta, could you confirm if disabling Hardware Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and restarting the app has any impact? Also, in case there is a specific trigger for the freeze prior to going into the brush editor, could you possibly provide a screen recording of the issue happening?

Screen record guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208721

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Mike Swartzbeck,

In v2.0.4 and previous versions, there is a known is on Mac where if you attempt to edit a pre-supplied brush in the 'Gouaches' category which had been edited during a previous app session, this would prevent any further edits being made to that brush and result in an app hang. This issue sounds somewhat similar to what you're experiencing, and has been fixed in the 2.1 beta.

Could you confirm if you're experiencing these same problems when editing a brush in the Photo 2.1 beta? This installs as a separate app along side the release apps, I've provided a link below to where you can join and download the beta.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/

If it's still occurring in the beta, could you confirm if disabling Hardware Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and restarting the app has any impact? Also, in case there is a specific trigger for the freeze prior to going into the brush editor, could you possibly provide a screen recording of the issue happening?

Screen record guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208721

Many thanks!

This is happening whenever I try to edit a pre-supplied brush, whether I double-click or use the "Edit Brush" menu selection, but it happens on every type of pre-supplied brush, not just gouaches. I just happened to be trying to edit an airbrush tip at the time; I also tried several types of plain round tips and spatter tips just to see what heppened. Even though I'm not running 2.1beta at the moment, would you know if disabling Hardware Acceleration works in the 2.0x versions?

If by "previous versions" you mean "all pre-2.0.4 versions" then, now that you mention it — I don't recall doing any amount of brush editing in v1.x; now I'm curious to see...

I haven't checked out the 2.1 beta yet; I'll hit that link and try it out.

8 hours ago, NathanC said:

Slight update: in v2.0.4, disabling Hardware Acceleration stops it from locking up when attempting to edit basic brushes, round tips; it still falls over when attempting to edit a spray/spatter brush.

9 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Mike Swartzbeck,

In v2.0.4 and previous versions, there is a known is on Mac where if you attempt to edit a pre-supplied brush in the 'Gouaches' category which had been edited during a previous app session, this would prevent any further edits being made to that brush and result in an app hang. This issue sounds somewhat similar to what you're experiencing, and has been fixed in the 2.1 beta...

Have just downloaded, installed (already got a new update) and tested out Photo Beta v2.1.0 (1790) and am not seeing the brush editing lockup issue so far; am currently running it with Hardware Acceleration enabled. Have tried brush tips of varying complexity, including that Gouache tip you mentioned, and Beta v2 is behaving itself in this regard, which is a massive relief.

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 14.30.54.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 14.31.17.png