You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2 Shape Builder - Overlapping Shapes the holes/counter No Longer Considered a Separate Shape

While trying to design a logo I ran into an issue with shape builder not seeing the white space or counter/hole in a curve which formerly was a font as a separate shape if another shape is imposed over it. I would expect this white space to remain its own shape and would appear to be a bug.

Steps.

1. Insert a letter with a Counter/Hole such as a D or O and convert it to a curve
  2. Insert another letter and convert it to a curve and overlap them
  3. Select both curves and choose the shape builder and the counter/hole is no longer its own shape but part of the surrounding shape.

3-LettersOverlapCounterNotASeparateShape.png

2-LettersNonOverlapCounterSeparateShape.png

1-LettersNonOverlapCounterSeparateShape.png

Why not try just adding the two letters using the Boolean Add?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I actually have more than two letters I am trying to work with and I am trying to get them to weave in front and behind one another at various places.  For something like this the shape builder tool is supposed to be a good option.  But I don't expect counter holes to be filled in when a shape is created.  

PS.  Tried to use Boolean functions to see if one might help but alas no joy... Thought the divide would give me individual shapes but the counter hole was filled in and became part of the D, that is not what I would expect from the boolean divide function either.  I would expect any counter holes to either remain holes or become their own shape with divide but they are filled in and a part of the D shape.  Also this appears to be an issue with shapes which were previously letters; I have tried this with the donut shape which is not a letter and didn't run into the same issue.

• Staff

Hi @dcadint,

Have you tried using the shape builder in the 2.1 beta? Many improvements and fixes have been applied to the shape builder in 2.1, and it has been drastically improved in this example, as I was able to select the area inside of the 'D' shape without it being considered part of the whole original curve.

image.png

Same file in 2.1 Beta:

image.pngBeta signup page: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/