You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Several pinned studio menus don't scroll with mouse wheel in Publisher

In Publisher 2 on Mac desktop, when I added a table and tried to use the setting in the studio sidebar (pinned in the studio), it showed the scrollbar but would not scroll with my mouse wheel. I had to drag the scroll down to see the rest of the menu.

At first I thought the other menu scrollbars work fine, but I was incorrect. I can scroll with the wheel on Layers, Text Styles, Quick FX, Pages, and Assets, but not in Paragraph, Text Frame, Character, Pinning, or Table.

Also, sometimes my horizontal scroll does not appear on the bottom when my image is zoomed in.

Ideas what's going on?

Edited by Shemja
Corrected info & updated topic title

AFAIK, there is no Table studio panel in Affinity Designer (V1 or V2), but I see the same thing on my Mac in the Table Studio in Affinity Publisher (V1  & V2).

I have noticed a few other places where scrolling with the mouse wheel does not work but at the moment I cannot remember exactly what they are.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, Shemja said:

... but not in Paragraph, Text Frame, Character, Pinning, or Table.

I see the same thing in APub & in AD & AP for the panels those apps include. I am pretty sure this has been true beginning with one of the old 1.X versions & it continues to be true in the 2.x builds.

I'm also pretty sure this was first reported as a bug some years ago, & has yet to be fixed even in the current betas....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For V1, Serif commented a few times on the lack of a scroll wheel option for certain panels as being intentional. It affects all panels with value fields. The decision was to prefer the ability to change values with the wheel, and therefore disable this option for the panel to avoid unwanted value changes. As far as I remember, this was not considered a bug, although scrolling with the wheel could be possible also for the scrollbar and not only for the fields.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

59 minutes ago, thomaso said:

The decision was to prefer the ability to change values with the wheel, and therefore disable this option for the panel to avoid unwanted value changes.

As it is (& always has been!) changing field values with the scroll wheel only works if the pointer is positioned directly over one of those fields, so there is no good reason not to allow scrolling the panel if the pointer is positioned anywhere else in the panel than in those relatively small areas.

Affinity Photo 

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

no good reason not to allow scrolling the panel if the pointer is positioned anywhere else in the panel than in those relatively small areas.

It may depend / wouldn't really help: Imagine you start scrolling at a "safe" spot of a panel but then reach an area where the cursor position hovers a field. It might stop scrolling there + change the value instead. Well, it might be solved if panel scrolling would rule over value scrolling, means value fields could be ignored when the panel gets scrolled already.

Personally I'd prefer the wheel would work to scroll through every panel, not just some, I still just try scrolling intuitively in all of them (don't have in mind "ah, it has values, scroll doesn't work"). – At least the wheel should work on the scrollbars in these panels according to common computer UI design.

404152707_panelsandscrollwheel.jpg.a4e0febb5dc2723d8865568e026f4402.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

45 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It might stop scrolling there + change the value instead.

Why should it stop there? It should not be difficult to determine that the focus is not on a field unless the pointer starts out positioned directly over the field when the wheel is scrolled.

Affinity Photo