You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Designer V2: placing a PDF in a project and editing said PDF kills project

Designer V2 (2.0.4.5)
iPad Pro (12,9”, 3. Generation)
iPadOS 16.4.1

It’s exactly what the title says…
To recreate the issue follow these steps:
1. Open a new document (size doesn’t really matter)
2. Create a simple shape, e.g. a rectangle
3. Export as PDF (PDF for print presets) (“Rect.pdf”)
4. Open another new document (“Test”)
5. Place and position “Rect.pdf”
6. Double click the shape (in this case the rectangle). A new window should open where you can edit Rect.pdf’s content.
7. Return to “Test”, in my case since I am using a keyboard by hitting command-w
8. “Test” is dead: the file can’t be opened nor saved.

This is particularly unnerving after having spent several hours working on a project. “You should’ve saved the project outside of Designer” is probably good advice, however I kinda expect the application not to kill my projects if I act on its invitation to work conveniently inside the app’s environment.

• Staff

Hi @JustARalf,

Thanks for your report!

I tested your method above here and I was unable to replicate this issue, until I connected a keyboard and used CMD+W to close the embedded PDF that was being edited. 

It appears as though when using CMD+W both the embedded document view "Rect" and the main document "Test" are closed incorrectly, causing the document to become corrupted. Only the "Rect" document should be closed when using this shortcut.

If you select the 'back' arrow in the top left corner when editing the embedded document, rather than using the CMD+W shortcut, this should not occur.

I will be logging this as a bug with our developers now to be resolved ASAP. Our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this.

• Staff

The issue "If a document is closed on the iPad whilst editing an embedded file it will cause the document to fail to open again" (REF: AFD-5299) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1769".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.