You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo One -

Affinity Photo Crashes when  two or more files are open - We have aloted memory of 57344MB  - The generated crash report implies We Reporting the crash file to Apple  - which we do Not - We bought Affinity Suite from the Affinity Store - Not from iStore (apple)

We wonder why this happens (infrequently) but more frequently than we feel comfortable with.  We find by not being ONLINE stops the Crash (sometimes)  - Has this been solved with Affinity 2?

Affinity Photo-2023-04-11-114600.ips Affinity Photo-2023-04-11-122838.ips

• Staff

Hi @Denis Taylor,

Could you confirm if the apps crash as soon as you open a second file, or does the crash occur later on after performing another action whilst working on them? The crash reports indicate that the app crashed for the same reason as they are very similar, does this occur when opening two specific files or can it be any two files?

I would initially suggest disabling Hardware Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and then restarting the app to see if the issue continues. If the crashing continues and can be somewhat be replicated on the same two files could you possibly provide me with them, I can provide an upload link if needed.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi - The crash occurs when I have 2 to 5 files open - Each time my Mac wants me to report to Apple which I refuse to do. I also have tried working offline when the same number of files are Open and the whole Program Crashes. I then restart and clean with Disk Utility - and only open One file at one time (off line) and then it does not crash - But this is very very tiring and slow (and totally not good for production). I am using Affinity for a Magazine  and a VR Gallery and have many images to process . If this continues I may have to resort to go back to PSD-

I have now unistalled Affinity Photo on our Mac#1 (Monertrey 12.6.5) and will try working solely with our Mac earlier Mac OS (El Capitan 10.11.6) working soley Off line - to see if that solves the issue- And we shall see if things improve our time isses production runs (ref to Crashes of Aff-Photo v1.

So far (the Publisher V1 software seems stable on the 12.6.5 machine) However we  have un-istalled Designer V1 and taken the Licence Keys out from the Library on the Monterray 12.6.5 Mac OS.

btw: We also tried out Designer in Version 2 on a Widows (up to date OS) and that had another issue of Not being able to Communicate with the Software for Windows.

2 hours ago, Denis Taylor said:

btw: We also tried out Designer in Version 2 on a Widows (up to date OS) and that had another issue of Not being able to Communicate with the Software for Windows.

What do you mean you can't communicate with the software for Windows?

Does Affinity Designer give an error message? Does the programme not start?

Some more information would be helpful!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff
3 hours ago, Denis Taylor said:

Is it possibly the same/a similar error message outlined in the FAQ post below? This could be firewall related/possibly one of the apps is currently unresponsive, see the post below for more information.

This issue is a siude issue to our Photo App crashing on an Imac running 12.6.5 - We have now tested a possible solution which actually worked.

We have uninstalled the Photo software and purges all other files in the Library associated with Affinity Photo (and affinity Designer).

We have isolated running our Publisher App on the 12.6.5 - which to date has not crashed at all.

We then loaded the Affinity Photo as a singular Software on another iMac running El Capitan (last OS update) and tested by opening Several Files of various Sizes and made elementary Edits (Levels/Document Size/Vibrancy etc) all having the same ICC colour porofile - This resulted in Not One Crash.  So hopefully we shall maintain this arrangement to allow our production of our Magazines - to flow uninterrupted by annoying Crash and Restarts.

Denis