You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

collaborating on a publisher file

Here's my problem:  I'm collaborating on a brochure - both of us are using publisher V2, both us on iMac running the latest software, yet whenever I open the file on my computer there are some things that don't work quite as they should.  The leading paragraph spacing in the text boxes appears set to 11pt when I open the file on my computer when it is 9pt in the original file, so text does not display correctly. There are a lot of text boxes, so editing each of them is not feasible.  And there may be other things too which might be different when I open the file, which I may not have detected yet.  Has anyone else come across this and knows how to solve this?  Thank you so much in advance!!

31 minutes ago, terrerouge said:

The leading paragraph spacing in the text boxes appears set to 11pt when I open the file on my computer when it is 9pt in the original file, so text does not display correctly.

I will assume that you are both using Paragraph Styles. You should have them set so the Paragraph Styles' leading is set to Exact, not a percentage or multiple or Default. You should also both have your [No Style] set to use Exact. All Styles start with the [No Style] settings and build on that so any differences in your two defaults will be propagated through to the styles you have set up.

There may also be local overrides applied, use the Text Style window and see if there are any applied by placing your cursor in the "questionable" text and see if there is a + sign in the name of the style. You can reset to the actual settings by hitting the right hand T with an arrow around it over to the right. Or by going to the Text > Reapply Text/Base Styles. But first click on the little disclosure triangle to see what has been applied.

1197346749_ScreenShot2023-04-03at7_50_40AM.png.6f73ad638e58220c9f56a062e778a5ab.png

2009787899_ScreenShot2023-04-03at7_51_58AM.png.f0f4bd94dd3ce7f6a5a0ea7b77eae3e4.png

You can copy the text in the disclosure and paste it in a text editor (or a Publisher text frame) to read the entire thing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your message!  I've tried all that and managed to reset the base style etc.  However the problem still persists on my two macs (desktop & macbook), the file does not retain the settings when I open it.  that problem was not there in V1, but I'm of course not able to work with the file in V1 now, unless we re-create the whole document.  It's a great shame that little things spoil what is otherwise a fantastic programme!  

• Staff

Hi @terrerouge,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Are you able to attach a copy of your .afpub file that exhibits this issue, so that we can further investigate here please?

When transferring the document from one mac to the other - do you have the same fonts available on both machines? If you are using a font that is only installed on one mac, this could explain why the text appearance changes when opening on a second device.

Many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

The font that is being used is Calibri and that's installed on both machines.  We're both working on relatively recent macs, I'll check this afternoon if we are both on the same OS.  Re-setting the paragraph styles has not made any difference to the problem.  Whenever I open the file on my mac, the leading paragraph style is set to 11pt when it is 9pt in the original file, something overrides that setting. 

Thanks for your help!

brochure 2023 version 7a.afpub

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and for the file provided - my apologies for the delayed response here.

I can see that there are no Text Styles currently applied to these text frames, however your document uses 2 different Leading settings across text frames. The top text frame uses 'Exactly - 9pt' and the bottom 2 text frames use 'Default - [11pt]' -

image.png

Is this the difference you are referring to? If so I'd recommend setting all text frames to use the same Leading settings across your document and you should find these are retained when opening the file on any system.

I hope this helps :)