You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feedbacks on Paint Mixer Tool from an Illustration point of view

Hi,

I want to move these feedbacks out from the the Auto-Cleaning feature now that the thread has been fixed.

I realised it was the wrong place so sorry if I made confusion there... 😖

These are some digressions I've collected about this tool, coming from both users and personal experience.

I think Paint Mixer has an impressive potential but I'm still struggling in making credible and usable brushes for this one... 😅

Probably there are some wrong expectations from my side, but using it "as is" it still looks more like an "advanced" blender or "Pixel Mixer" than a painting tool (to me at least...).

The behaviour of the Strength slider is clearly non-linear

image.png.69ebe5b6d5aa11e39fafc0f540758f40.png

It seems to start acting as a paintbrush close to the end of the ramp

In order to make it more credible you need to paint into a filled layer, so it needs a "one layer" approach for illustrations.

Also, using tablets only Nozzles Interpolation and "Geometry" Jitters work properly.

Maybe HSL Jitters or Wet Edges are skipped by design, but Flow's variation does nothing at all (both Jitter and its context bar value).

Sub Brushes > Erase mode do not work too.

Basically almost 80% of tablet's dynamic looks disabled and the only parameter which rules interaction (Strength) does not have its Jitter and needs to be changed manually.

A user suggested to decrease spacing... But with the smallest spacing possible on macOS it is even worse.

This video is made painting on an empty layerIn the video below you can see a different tool (larger nozzle) and background colour (opaque layer)

No great changes also you can spot other issues such as the "blocky" effect or the mixing that happens "before" crossing colour areas.It is true that I'm not a photo retoucher, and AP is "photography-first" so for sure its behaviour is useful for these channel and frequency separation tasks/workflows.

For sure illustration is still perfectly feasible...

image.png.515cbf6e2543159167119c97797eb024.png

But speaking as an illustrator, I find it still hard and "confusing"... Also it requires a totally different design strategy.

Maybe this happens because of my forma mentis and when I read "Paint Mixer" I think of "colours" rather than skin smoothing or similar tasks... 

Am I approaching the tool from the wrong point of view?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I spoke about retouching tasks because other users described this tool as perfect "as is" in that context.

I'm pretty sure it is true, but about pure and simple illustration let's imagine the following scenario: a yellow loaded brush, crossing a cyan area, without releasing the tip/click.

Now two extreme cases.

If Autoload and Autoclean are OFF 

It will pull green and keep it green, the "amount of green" is based on strenght.

Any new stroke will start with a greenish colour then gradually fade away, until "Load Brush" is clicked again.

If Autoload and Autoclean are ON

It will pull green and then paint yellow again, based on strenght.

No need to manually load.

This is what I'd expect...

But it barely acts this way within a 8% range of the entire ramp and it does in an apparently erratic way.

What do you think @Red Sands?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers