You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add colour to end of gradient, beyond existing

Hi there, I have a particular use case scenario for gradients that I'm sure I've seen in other apps.

Let's say I have a gradient going from blue to green. I want to now have it going from blue to green to yellow (ie. Green in the middle). However I can't add a colour beyond the end points, so I have to add a new mid-point, change that to green, then add my yellow to the end point. This involves adding the green to my colour swatches or filling something with it first so I can colour pick it after.

Wouldn't it make more sense to allow the end points to be dragged further in than the edge of the gradient, then allow whatever colour is last extend to the end?

Eg:

Blue 0% --------------- Green 75% -----|

This would start at blue, blend to green at 75% point, then continue as that green to the end of the gradient.

That way if I decide to add my yellow afterwards, I can do this easily by clicking anywhere after the green.

Use the Copy button after selecting the green stop to copy the same green to the middle then choose the original stop and change it to yellow. Note that you may have to reverse the gradient to get the copy button to work as it won't work on the location stop at  100%.

12 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

Hi there, I have a particular use case scenario for gradients ....

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.