You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Warp Group text exported to PNG xref AFD-6306

Build 1709 . This may be covered elsewhere but to highlight that even if export to PDF is fixed, other exports may not be. For my purposes, happy to work around by rasterising if that works. Exports done for whole page, Selection and Selection Area attached - in each case the two warp groups were selected.

PowerDuplicateAndWarpAll.png

PowerDuplicateAndWarpSelection.png

PowerDuplicateAndWarpSelectionArea.png

PowerDuplicateAndWarp.afdesign

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be slow on responding - I had not turned on 'follow'.
I downloaded the attached file from above and I can see the two warp groups - see clipboard file attached - not sure why you couldnt.
What I was saying was that I exported these groups to PNG in 3 ways - whole file, selection and selection area -- the embedded images above were to show the faults.

Having moved on to beta 1714 I thought I would try again ... and I see a part fix. 
I think this now overlaps with comments from other people but here it is for completeness.
Attached are a simpler source file with individual warped groups exported - warped with text, warped with text as curves (to show it is not a text problem specifically), warped and rasterised.  When not rasterised, there is clipping. I also exported to PDF to show that the problem appears to be in the definition of selection bounds when something is warped rather than the format of the output.

ThreestarsAll.png

Threestarscurvewarp.png

Threestarswarp.png

Threestarswarpraster.png

Threestars.afdesign Threestarswarp.pdf

Clipboard01.jpg

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• Staff

Thanks for that! Redownloaded the file (though I'm on a different machine) and can see the Warp Groups - not sure what was happening there!

However when I export those and choose Selection Area or Selection Only its fine.

With the three starts I am getting the cut off behaviour. I can understand why that happens, as the warped areas are falling outside the object's bounding box (which doesn't factor in the limits of the warp).

However I'm not sure why the first document is different to the second. The bounds of the second document from the export's Selection Area are still not matching up to what the preview is showing, so something feels off. See attached screenshot showing the first document (and the second, cut down to one object with superfluous groups/layers removed).

I'll pass this on and see what can be done.

PowerDuplicate.PNG

ThreeStars.PNG

Thanks yes --- it seems  that the bounding rectangle of a warp group is not using the algorithm that did the shaping to find max bounds. Probably not easy and less important as most users will be exporting whole documents - but I might take a look at edge effects.

Another example where it might matter .... logo construction came to mind ... and I quite like embossed lettering for that.... some examples of layer effects....

Clipboard02.jpg

ThreestarsEffects.afdesign

One more - I promise to stop after this.
I'm a user of Filter Forge, and it's a great combination with the Pattern layers  [I generate them in Photo but then they are available as assets in Design]
It turned out that though I can fill individual items with a Pattern, I couldn't fill the warp group - the pattern 'escapes' to fill the page.
....  whereas a bitmap fill does fill all the items in a warp group.
I sort of expected it as part of the issues with warp groups not having the 'obvious' boundary, clipping etc.
EDIT...sorry, with more experimenting,  this is actually group related not warp group -- other groups also seem to let patterns escape -- so not really a part of this thread.

pattern1.jpg

pattern2.jpg

ThreestarsPatternFill.afdesign