You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Constant Crashes with 2.0.4

Hello All,

Affinity Photo 2 has started crashing regularly since the latest update. This only seems to happen when selecting a new brush, switching between brush/smudge brush etc. I get the pinwheel of death, and the program becomes "unresponsive" and I have to force quit. 

I have had this happen on both high-rez files, as well as small 72 dpi files. Is this happening to anyone else?

Running on Mac OS 12.6.3.

3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Illustrating on a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24

• Staff

Hi @BJohnsonCreatesand Welcome to the Forums,

Can you first try starting Affinity from Applications, while holding down the Control key and you should get a popup asking if you'd liked to clear some settings.  3 boxes will be ticked and you can just click on Clear.  Now try your same workflow again and let me know the results.

Also we do have a beta running, so it would also be worth installing the beta and seeing if you encounter the same issues.  To take part in the beta, see here.

• 1 month later...

I am getting more and more frequent crashing. 

I am unable to even start edits as the window just closes without warning.

The dev team needs to fix this ASAP

I am going to try to reinstall the application as there is no easy way to uninstall it. :/ 

I cannot give a crash bug report because it doesn't generate one. 

Also I have tried the above moderator suggestion and it still crashes when I try to open a file I saved with the same app. (no later or other versions)

What gives? 

I can't get this application to not crash.

If I load a new image then select "Adjustments" then click on "Black and white" the program instantly closes. No report at all.

Can you guys please help! I can't use it if it will not bother to stay running... 

I am relying on this to do work and now I am going to have to use another app till you get this fixed!!!!!!

@hivoltage, welcome to the forums :)

You don't say what OS you're running, or which Affinity app and version. Please try disabling Hardware Acceleration, found in the Preferences>Performance tab.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Sorry. 

There is no real form or anything that I have seen that tells me what all I need to list. 

I am running Windows 10, I have a RTX Quadro 4000 and a Quadro M4000

The version I am running is Affinity Photo 2 version 2.04

I turned off acceleration and the error went away.

Thanks for the replay.