You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double clicking on a page in Pages panel causes crash

Grayhem

Double clicking on a page in Pages panel causes crash - not every time . . . but often enough to be an issue.

I have version 2 on my PC at home and at work, and the pages panel is the only cause of current crashes. This crash will happen every time I am using the software, at least once a day, often more.

Randomly, when choosing new pages from the pages panel, via double clicking, the app will hang.

Hi Graham, are you able to duplicate this with another document? I'm asking because I haven't seen an issue like this reported by anybody else with v2 so I'm wondering if it's something specific to your current document.

What can you tell us about the document, are there any linked resources? What kind?

Which version of Windows are you using? Do you have hardware acceleration on in Preferences > Performance?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Its not specific to a document - it has been my experience in a few documents. And not only on one PC. So it doesn't 'seem' to be hardware specific...
I installed version 2 at home on windows 10, and saw the issue. I updated to windows 11, the issue is still there.
At work I run win10, and am getting the same issue.

Having used Publisher version 1 for a few years, I never had the page panel issues that I have found in V2. And I wonder if there is a relational cause.
So, if it is any help to mention, in a multi page document of say 100 pages, re-ordering pages will cause Publisher v2 to blank the pages panel [it goes black for a second] while it 're-thinks' the page ordering - this is something that version 1 did instantly with no pause or glitch. I have not reported this yet as it is not causing a crash, but I noted it is different and not so good.

Another thing that I have noticed about pages in Version2 is that you can select objects across pages, over more than one page, which version1 never allowed. In Version 1, you had to click into [or beside, on the paste board] of each page to let Publisher know which page you were dealing with. It would then know which page to select objects from. This functionality has changed in Pages in Version2.

Maybe this is all related???

Edited by Grayhem
clarity

What can you tell us about the document, are there any linked resources? What kind?

It can be anything from simple text, to heavy graphics. I doesn't really matter. In the documents that Ive had issues with there have been no linked resources.

5 hours ago, Grayhem said:

Another thing that I have noticed about pages in Version2 is that you can select objects across pages, over more than one page, which version1 never allowed. In Version 1, you had to click into [or beside, on the paste board] of each page to let Publisher know which page you were dealing with. It would then know which page to select objects from. This functionality has changed in Pages in Version2.

Publisher 2.0.4 for macOS doesn't allow me to select objects on separate spreads - I can of course select objects on both pages in a spread, just like in v1.

And there is no need with v1 or v2 to pick on the page or pasteboard to let Publisher know which page you're working with. If page 1 is selected in the Pages panel and I click on an object on page 2, page 2 will become selected in the Pages panel. I can't see any changes from v1.

I'll have to step back since I'm on macOS and there are no crashes or lags with the Pages panel for Mac. Perhaps a Windows user that uses long documents could chime in here.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Hey @Grayhem,

Could you provide me with a recent crash report after experiencing this issue? I've linked a FAQ below which details how to find these.

Additionally, to help rule out if this GPU/Rendering related, could you try disabling Hardware Acceleration under Edit > Preferences > Performance and then restart the app? you could also trying changing the Renderer to 'WARP' in the same menu, this forces Software/CPU rendering to see if the crash/page blanking continues.

I get onto this shortly and try out the settings you mention. 
Version 1 has always been so rock-solid for us, and I'm trying to persuade some more of my colleagues to learn affinity - but so far version2 has been doing some 'worrisome' things!! I'm sure it'll get ironed out

Here's a crash report from a few days ago - I don't have one from today although it has crashed a couple of times already today.
I often cancel the dialogue box that appears after a crash [ i think it says 'sending something to microsoft' ? ] I usually just want to get on with getting the app up and running again, and use whatever recovery file is available

would this be the reason for so few of these .dmp files ?

Ive also changed the renderer to WARP - though it wasn't on hardware acceleration anyway

0b03c471-dc70-4ea8-a4cf-e67b099c19e0.dmp