You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we, please, get an ability to see bleed area of the Artboard?

Since an artboard is technically just a parent shape that clips its children, it's only logical that we can't see anything outside. Every parent shape behaves this way.

To see all shapes nonetheless, try the Outline View modes.

You can also move objects outside the Artboard layer in the Layers panel to see them in full. They will stay put unless you move them on canvas while they're above the artboard; then they will snap inside automatically which is apparently "by design".

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

move objects outside the Artboard layer in the Layers panel to see them in full.

… which is really easy with just a few clicks. Just group the whole artboard content, or "promote" this group to a layer, then drag the whole bunch above the artboard:

ade_view_objects_outside_artboard.png.917ea89c68d994cd9eb82ba2a841b547.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

18 minutes ago, loukash said:

… which is really easy with just a few clicks. Just group the whole artboard content, or "promote" this group to a layer, then drag the whole bunch above the artboard:

ade_view_objects_outside_artboard.png.917ea89c68d994cd9eb82ba2a841b547.png

I understand how it works by now. However, it changes nothing, to be honest.

Imagine You have to put a complicated background for 10 artboards. You say: put it over artboards. Right. But it means i have to put my designs over backgrounds, so whats the point of artboards in this case?

Ain’t nobody acquiring us 😎

affinity.png.49fcd56bf0144b48c28152a8ca57c0ab.png

5 minutes ago, darwinwasright said:

whats the point of artboards in this case?

That's your decision. What do I know? :) 

I don't use artboards unless I see a reason to use them. I prefer using pages even in Designer which I'm adding via Publisher. That fits my workflow better. Most of the times I'd start with an *.afpub document anyway to have APu as the default app to open it, then I'd continue by switching APu's personas as I see fit.

So as a "supplement" to your feedback, here I'm only giving options and workarounds that we can use right now.
Because we'll never know if your feedback will ever be implemented.
Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, loukash said:

I don't use artboards unless I see a reason to use them. I prefer using pages even in Designer which I'm adding via Publisher. That fits my workflow better. Most of the times I'd start with an *.afpub document anyway to have APu as the default app to open it, then I'd continue by switching APu's personas as I see fit.

There is an option in View > View mode > Clip to Canvas. But for some reason its locked with artboards and always "on". However you can toggle it on/off while you have that white canvas. And canvases work like parental shapes as well, but this could be turned off if needed. 😥

Just now, darwinwasright said:

There is an option in View > View mode > Clip to Canvas.

In this context, "canvas" = page.
It's kind of the "missing link" between APu's concept of pages, and APh's concept of canvas.

1 minute ago, darwinwasright said:

canvases work like parental shapes as well

Yes, sort of. 

28 minutes ago, loukash said:

Yes, sort of. 

Ok, canvas is "page", i get it. But from what I see we can't add another canvas (or can we?), only an artboard I guess. And this artoard&bleed stuff makes artboards useless for printing work, since You don't even see whats going on in the bleed area.

10 minutes ago, darwinwasright said:

But from what I see we can't add another canvas (or can we?)

File > Edit in Publisher > add as many pages/canvases as you like.

10 minutes ago, darwinwasright said:

only an artboard

Alright, an Affinity document can have only one mode: it can be either in Artboard mode or in Page/Canvas mode.

In Designer, you can "convert" the mode simply by deleting all "Artboard" objects. Then you can add pages via Edit in Publisher.
Or in Publisher, the Pages panel offers an option to convert artboards to spreads (pages).
It's all pretty flexible. :) 

One important thing to keep in mind here: Technically, under the hood, it's effectively all just one document format and one application. Some bugs aside, you can freely combine features and concepts from either app in one single document.

19 minutes ago, loukash said:

Some bugs aside, you can freely combine features and concepts from either app in one single document.

Except Artboards and Pages/Spreads, as you mentioned :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

43 minutes ago, loukash said:

File > Edit in Publisher > add as many pages/canvases as you like.

Alright, an Affinity document can have only one mode: it can be either in Artboard mode or in Page/Canvas mode.

In Designer, you can "convert" the mode simply by deleting all "Artboard" objects. Then you can add pages via Edit in Publisher.
Or in Publisher, the Pages panel offers an option to convert artboards to spreads (pages).
It's all pretty flexible. :) 

One important thing to keep in mind here: Technically, under the hood, it's effectively all just one document format and one application. Some bugs aside, you can freely combine features and concepts from either app in one single document.

Haha, its not "simply". Simply would be having an ability to do it in Designer as it should be.

What if don't have Publisher?

59 minutes ago, darwinwasright said:

What if don't have Publisher?

Then you can buy Publisher as your "plugin" to add more features to Designer.
Same with Photo. That's the actual concept of the Affinity "trinity" and its seamless interoperability.