You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher2: what do I set to convert color to gray scale when I export to print?

I want to have my color images convert to gray scale at the time of publication to a print PDF profile and maintain color for a digital output. I set the parameters to gray in the PDF for print export profile, but the output kept the color. What am I missing?

image.png.dc23177b8af3346d0b288267b0c2be87.png

The preview shows the actual file but it exports in grey indeed…

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

5 hours ago, Joansz said:

What am I missing?

Probably "Convert image color spaces" is unchecked.

Also, is your document RGB or CMYK?

3 hours ago, laurent32 said:

The preview shows the actual file but it exports in grey indeed…

With this setting it will be composite CMYK gray, not true K gray, because you are embedding the profile.
Do not embed the profile.

Then it will work, as long as your document is in RGB mode.
That's because Affinity handles Gray as RGB. (Duh!)

I did a bunch of tests right now (with APu v1), and the only export method that would convert CMYK to K grayscale while keeping the original K values was:

1. Document Setup > Color
  2. click Asign first (!)
  3. select Gray/8
  4. select D50 (or any other gray profile you want to use)
  5. click OK (CMYK colors will be totally off but ignore that for now)
  6. Export > Color Space: Gray, Use document profile, do NOT embed profile, do Convert image color spaces
  7. (optionally undo or assign document back to your previous CMYK profile)

apu_convert_cmyk_to_k_export.png.76a674740ecae782f186e8e1e001c8ae.png

Like that, K values will remain K when previewed in Acrobat using any CMYK profile:

ac_apu_convert_cmyk_to_k_export.png.72a0eab56add722e67a411e677a7a15e.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

A bit of background to explain my goals: I'm a volunteer editor for the American Branch of the Richard III Society. Twice yearly, we publish a magazine in the form of a 6 by 9 inch printed booklet and digital PDF. My objective is to have one file for both editions plus a separate file for the cover, which is full CMYK color.

Thank you, laurent32 and loukash. I was able to get the desired results by setting up the document as RGB and the output as CMYK. See attached screen captures.

Document setup.png

graysetting for export.png

Successful grayscale output.png

34 minutes ago, Joansz said:

I was able to get the desired results by setting up the document as RGB and the output as CMYK. See attached screen captures.

Still, you should not embed the ICC profile on export unless the printer tells you so and also tells you which one exactly.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2