You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Caption fights Frame! Help please.

The enclosed two images show I am creating a new caption to an existing B&W photograph. However the picture frame text wrap will not allow me to place the caption beneath the photo. I have previously placed captions beneath throughout the book, but in this case my previous method does not work. I must have forgotten a step. Whatever I do, creating the picture frame wrap to shape text around photo prevents me placing the caption. I have altered page text flow manually around B&W photo but that should not effect the caption?

I thought it may be caused by order of layer stack. Not so. Re-arranging frame and caption order in layer stack does not help.

Can someone tell me what is amiss please.

B&W photo shows caption deflected by picture wrap. Colour image shows earlier photo created by same method (Choose picture frame, draw in situ, Click Text Wrap and choose Square, Place picture, with text tool create caption and place beneath picture).

Caption worked here.jpg

frame fights caption 01.jpg

Edited by TerraAustralis

In the screen-grab with the B&W image there seems to be more than one image and/or Picture Frame – you can see some of the ‘black cross’ which is drawn through an empty Picture Frame. The empty Picture Frame probably has Text Wrap applied to it and that’s probably what is causing the text to move across.

If you remove the empty Picture Frame layer then you should see things working better.

Yes, That is exactly so Garry. If I remove the picture frame wrap, the text will range left at left text margin. That is the point of the frame - to control type margin around the picture.

When I remove the text wrap the result is below. I then have the task of trying to re-format the text around the photo using tabs. Very messy approach.

Mystery is Text wrap was no problem previously and nor it blocks the caption. You can understand why I though it was a layer stacking problem. But it is not. I can have caption above or below text wrap and the problem remains.

The lowest screen image shows my type behaviour with the text wrap baseline raised to allow the caption to sit below photo. Another messy bit of typography but I shall face that challenge as the only option at this stage. The final,bottom screen shot shows the result.

There must be a better way than manually setting individual lines?

Thank you for your interest Garry.

Remove text wrap frame.jpg

raise text wrap baseline.jpg

Manual work around.jpg

You probably need to Group the caption Text Frame with the image Picture Frame, so they are one object, then apply the Text Wrap settings to that object.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1