You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hiding in narrows, poison arrows

A minor issue, but worth mentioning for accuracy. Arrow accuracy. Ahem. In default shortcuts setup, Menu bar -> Document -> Next page, previous page commands use wrong icon/symbol. The symbols used are upwards arrow and downwards arrow. Instead, convention are the symbols as used in Shortcuts panel. See the image.

⇟ for page down
DOWNWARDS ARROW WITH DOUBLE STROKE
Unicode: U+21DF, UTF-8: E2 87 9F

⇞ for page up
UPWARDS ARROW WITH DOUBLE STROKE
Unicode: U+21DE, UTF-8: E2 87 9E

For reference: Keyboard Viewer and press fn key to display mentioned symbols on cursor up-down keys.

— Theme song: Mike Oldfield, Poison Arrows, album: Discovery (1984)

image.png.acfe7b30dda01b4917b3eca7c933cfe0.png

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

I'm glad you raised this, it bugged me when I was setting up my v2 shortcuts and I hadn't made time to think about it. It's not new in v2 and I found it's actually a bug in macOS, not Affinity. I don't know whether it's specific to Monterey and Ventura or it's always been this way.

The table below shows how the shortcuts appear in Affinity Preferences and macOS Settings (see the Prefs column) versus application menus (Menu column). I got identical results when changing shortcuts in macOS Ventura's System Settings for Apple's own apps, so this is Apple's bug.

220150627_Screenshot2023-01-11at11_01_15AM.png.ceb043ea12454dda79fcf5547ac9a8e3.png

Note: The shortcut defaults in Affinity are for the Page Up/Down keys and not for the Cmd+Arrow Up/Down keys used on a non-extended keyboard. Every MacBook user would need to change these shortcuts.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks @MikeTO for adding more info to this. I use non-extended logitech keyboard, with no access to PgUp/PgDn function. Even using Mac's Keyboard viewer I was not able to type PgDn/PgUp into system's shortcuts. Hrmmm... 

- Cmd+PgUp/PgDn is the default in APv2 on my mini, with logitech non-extended keyboard.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

1 hour ago, Aleksandar Kovač said:

Thanks @MikeTO for adding more info to this. I use non-extended logitech keyboard, with no access to PgUp/PgDn function. Even using Mac's Keyboard viewer I was not able to type PgDn/PgUp into system's shortcuts. Hrmmm... 

- Cmd+PgUp/PgDn is the default in APv2 on my mini, with logitech non-extended keyboard.

Yeah, without an extended keyboard there's no normal way for us to type those keystrokes. Some applications just treat Cmd+Up Arrow as the same as Page Up but Affinity treats them as different characters. That could be useful to an extended keyboard user so I can't complain. And Affinity doesn't know what type of keyboard we have so it can't adapt automatically.

But Apple's bug with showing different characters for the same shortcut in the shortcut editor versus the menus is annoying. It would be interesting to know if it's present in Catalina and Big Sur, too. Perhaps somebody else will check and let us know. I'll file a bug report with Apple once we have more details but they're not quick at fixing these little bugs.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)