You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Emulate extended natural hairline in this Picture ?

I am trying to have some hair (Making it look as natural as possible till the Hairline drawn with a Marker in the Picture) What would be the best way to emulate some hair til the Marked Line.

I have tried using Clone Tool, Patch Tool but the results do not look natural.

Any other suggestions ?

Picture attached.

Den-1.jpg

For this image I would prefer copy & paste + (partially) stretching of the current hair to avoid all problems to find the right width, blur and colour that would occur with painting / drawing.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

19 minutes ago, thomaso said:

For this image I would prefer copy & paste + (partially) stretching of the current hair to avoid all problems to find the right width, blur and colour that would occur with painting / drawing.

Ok, so just add a new pixel layer and make a selection of the area and paste it ? that way ? How do I select the area that I want to copy and paste on new area ?

Sort of like this? I didn't spend long on this about a couple of minutes. I used the 'Brush Selection Tool' to draw the shape on the hair, copied and then moved the copy down, using the transform handles to size it. Then the blemish removal tool to hide the line on the forehead and some smudging here and there to blend it all in. To do a good job would need some time spent on it.

Hair.jpg

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

7 minutes ago, GRH said:

Sort of like this? I didn't spend long on this about a couple of minutes. I used the 'Brush Selection Tool' to draw the shape on the hair, copied and then moved the copy down, using the transform handles to size it. Then the blemish removal tool to hide the line on the forehead and some smudging here and there to blend it all in. To do a good job would need some time spent on it.

Hair.jpg

How did you use the Bush Selection for selecting Hair you wanna use ? Do you mean Selection Brush Tool ?

1 minute ago, augustya said:

How did you use the Bush Selection for selecting Hair you wanna use ? Do you mean Selection Brush Tool ?

Sorry, yes I did mean that - Selection Brush Tool.

Make sure the layer is selected, then select the tool, then draw over the part you want to duplicate, you can move it around to expand the area, if you make it too big, change the 'mode' - top of screen on the left under the 'Affinity Photo' logo, then 'push' the selection back. When happy, copy and paste, then choose the 'Move' tool and move the selection down and adjust to suit. Then use the 'Healing' tool, etc., to blend it all in.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

37 minutes ago, augustya said:

Ok, so just add a new pixel layer and make a selection of the area and paste it ? that way ? How do I select the area that I want to copy and paste on new area ?

The way of selection doesn't matter for the result. Choose one you can handle. You can even use a simple rectangle selection … and then mask or erase the unwanted parts.

18 minutes ago, GRH said:

Sorry, yes I did mean that - Selection Brush Tool.

Make sure the layer is selected, then select the tool, then draw over the part you want to duplicate, you can move it around to expand the area, if you make it too big, change the 'mode' - top of screen on the left under the 'Affinity Photo' logo, then 'push' the selection back. When happy, copy and paste, then choose the 'Move' tool and move the selection down and adjust to suit. Then use the 'Healing' tool, etc., to blend it all in.

The thing with Brush selection Tool is it works best when you have sharp edges in the Layer from where you are copying. I am not sure it is working for me.

3 minutes ago, augustya said:

The thing with Brush selection Tool is it works best when you have sharp edges in the Layer from where you are copying. I am not sure it is working for me.

Maybe check snap to edges is deselected, I had soft edges selected at the time too. Make sure you include some of the forehead skin as well, otherwise you won't get a good match - go up to just before the line you have drawn.

hair2.jpeg

1 hour ago, augustya said:

Instead of fiddling with the selection you can take a copy of the image layer, narrow it down with a rectangle selection + stretch the image layer slightly vertically + paint a mask. Whereas the rectangular masking object is not necessary to achieve this result, it just makes the process clearer when stretching the image + reduces the effort for the masking brush.

Here a quick 1 minute result …

1829904728_hairline2.thumb.jpg.f1a9eadd4e432e2a355f1abfd3f20f26.jpg

… and the appearance with disabled masks (= just the copied image, moved down + stretched slightly):

919692937_hairline3.thumb.jpg.f7405fd73de57af5fde93e78d70bb7df.jpg

Edited by thomaso
with

20 hours ago, thomaso said:

Instead of fiddling with the selection you can take a copy of the image layer, narrow it down with a rectangle selection + stretch the image layer slightly vertically + paint a mask. Whereas the rectangular masking object is not necessary to achieve this result, it just makes the process clearer when stretching the image + reduces the effort for the masking brush.

Here a quick 1 minute result …

1829904728_hairline2.thumb.jpg.f1a9eadd4e432e2a355f1abfd3f20f26.jpg

… and the appearance with disabled masks (= just the copied image, moved down + stretched slightly):

919692937_hairline3.thumb.jpg.f7405fd73de57af5fde93e78d70bb7df.jpg

But you know I also wanted to be able to just draw some hair in the desired areas on the Forhead. which means I would not necessarily want to stretch the image with the forehead down. Can I not clone hair and then use a Brush to put it in my desired area?

1 hour ago, augustya said:

But you know I also wanted to be able to just draw some hair in the desired areas on the Forhead. which means I would not necessarily want to stretch the image with the forehead down. Can I not clone hair and then use a Brush to put it in my desired area?

Yes, of course you can draw or copy smaller areas or even single hair. But you know you wrote:

On 1/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, augustya said:

I have tried using Clone Tool, Patch Tool but the results do not look natural.

Any other suggestions ?

So, I made an other suggestion, which does not need such a perfect painting with a brush. If you want to avoid the impression of a simple / single copy of the entire hairline you could alternatively make smaller selections + move them to a different position on the forehead but this will require adjustments to the skin tone for each copy, unless you really copy hair only, no skin, which appears rather impossible with this blurry image.

So, with smaller selections or even single painted hairs you possibly would paint or copy the skin separately from the hair + then merge / blend the skin afterwards on the new or copied hair. A perfect, natural result will need a lot of time, depending on and increasing with the size of selections respectively the number of painted hairs.

As a compromise – to avoid the impression of a simple copy – you could use several smaller copies of the rectangular selection + its painted mask. Below for instance with 1 flipped copy of the left half. Therefore the painted mask will require more precision because of the different skin tones (light / brightness) between left and right.

703185085_hairline4-twocopies.thumb.jpg.1c3e808bc2ecc5b1cdcfb4a2522880cd.jpg

9 minutes ago, augustya said:

But that is because I was not able to do it correctly.

This may have been the motivation for your question. But you literally asked for other suggestions, right? – As mentioned, a perfect result requires an according workflow. There hardly exists a "quick and easy" + "natural look" workflow, in particular for natural objects or textures like hair and skin.

If you want instructions of using brushes there are various tutorials around, some of them especially for hair, for instance:

Select hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNkyNKoKroU

Paint hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0fQI9_ZtE

• 2 weeks later...