You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2 Freezes When Selecting Text Boxes

While using affinity publisher version 2, I tried to select various text boxes to change font color. As I hold shift and click on the desired text boxes I want to select and accidentally click outside on an empty space the app freezes completely. If I wait 15 to 20 minutes (sometimes longer) it unfreezes and I can continue working.

Hardware and software:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA

OPERATING SYSTEM
Edition
Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-bit)
Version (Build)
22H2 (10.0.22623)

Devices and Drivers

PROCESSOR

Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz

GRAPHICS

Intel® UHD Graphics

MEMORY

16 GB

• Device Details
  • Physical Memory - Total16 GB
  • Physical Memory - Available13.02 GB
  • Virtual Memory - Total18.17 GB
  • Virtual Memory - Available15.55 GB
  • Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
  • Page File Space2.38 GB

All drivers are up to date.

Freeze.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2022 at 2:13 PM, Mr. V6 said:

If I wait 15 to 20 minutes (sometimes longer) it unfreezes and I can continue working.

Did you manage to update Publisher to the latest version v2.0.3 to see whether this problem has gone away?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Mr. V6 apologies on the late reply,

Have you tried disabling Hardware Acceleration under Edit > Preferences > Performance and then restarting the app to see if this continues? If it does, could you try changing the 'Renderer' setting to 'WARP' In Performance settings and then restarting your app and trying again.

If you're still having issues, could you confirm if this is document specific or if you create a new document and add two text frames and multi select does the same app hang occur?

It may also be worth trying the 2.1 beta available below for comparison.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/

• 1 month later...

Same problem here in Designer. There is a freeze after selecting text boxes. I just opened a fresh document, created two text boxes with random content, then selecting the two boxes while holding shift and then clicking on am empty spot (while still holding shift) freezes Designer. Sometimes it recovers, most of the time it doesn't.

Same thing happens in the latest Beta version..

• Staff
On 3/30/2023 at 10:09 PM, Matinski said:

Same problem here in Designer. There is a freeze after selecting text boxes. I just opened a fresh document, created two text boxes with random content, then selecting the two boxes while holding shift and then clicking on am empty spot (while still holding shift) freezes Designer. Sometimes it recovers, most of the time it doesn't.

Same thing happens in the latest Beta version..

Hi @Matinski welcome to the forums,

This is a known issue that's currently logged with the developers when shift + double clicking in a blank spot on the canvas with an art or text frame selected, i've bumped the issue with your report.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "App freezes when shift+click twice in a blank space with Art text or frame selected. " (REF: AFB-6977) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.