You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation confusion due to activation scheme

anweid

In order to solve a problem from another post, I tried to install Publisher 2 in test mode on a different PC than the one I already installed and activated it on. This creates confusion due to the following problems:

• I can only download the test version by logging into my Affinity account (or create a new one). Which I did.
  • After downloading, the installation works as usual.
  • At first start, Publisher asks me for a 'License Activation', which can only be done with my Affinity credentials. Without those credentials, I cannot use the software.

The problem is: I do not want to activate any license, because

1. my license at home is already activated, and it should stay activated there,
  2. I don't want to keep Publisher on that second PC, but just install it for a few days for testing purposes, and
  3. I have no idea what will happen if I try to activate the license for that test version: Will it complain, because I already activated a copy with my credentials, or will it refuse activation because of that, or will it even deactivate my original installation at home?

This seems very unclear to me. The same problem will appear if I want to administer more than one copy of any Affinity program using only one set of credentials.

It would be nice if

• either the above points could be cleared up by stating what will happen under what circumstances,
  • or at least by making it possible to start Publisher in test mode without entering credentials.

I take it for granted that the same would also happen with all other Affinity programs, but I haven't checked.

Andreas Weidner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi anweid,

The behaviour you're seeing is correct. For installers downloaded from the Affinity Store your trial eligibility is tied to your Affinity ID. If you have not purchased the app (or registered a Microsoft Store Licence/Universal Licence), when you sign in your Affinity ID will offer you a 30 day trial of the app if you haven't already used one.

However if you do have a licence on your Affinity ID then the app will see that and run up licenced, and will not offer any trials.

For what you are trying to achieve, this is allowed by the software EULA (specifically the section quoted below):

Your Rights and Permitted Use

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (Windows Computer) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

Regarding your three concerns. 
1. Activating on another machine will not automatically deactivate it on your home PC - it will stay activated

2. This isn't an issue, after you have finished trying the things you require you can simply select the 'Deactivate this device' from the account screen (see below). This will remove your licence from that machine. The app can then be uninstalled.

3. As mentioned above - this will be fine. Your home PC will remain licenced or complain that you have activated on a second PC.
Licence.png

• 1 month later...