You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Final Cut Pro with Designer PSD Import Unstable

Hi,

I tried exporting to a PSD from Designer and importing to into Final Cut Pro and the PSD is completely unstable in FCP. When I disable the clip with "V" the clip goes black and starts that way.

My goal is to design a multi layer / grouped object in Designer and the import it into FCP to animate the parts.

I've also tried the Export Persona and exported the layers in separate files, but those files don't maintain the relative positions of the layers. The pixel dimensions remain the same as they were in designer but they are each centered and scaled to full frame

Any suggestions?

You might be better off exporting to PDF

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, videoed said:

Hi,

I tried exporting to a PSD from Designer and importing to into Final Cut Pro and the PSD is completely unstable in FCP. When I disable the clip with "V" the clip goes black and starts that way.

My goal is to design a multi layer / grouped object in Designer and the import it into FCP to animate the parts.

I've also tried the Export Persona and exported the layers in separate files, but those files don't maintain the relative positions of the layers. The pixel dimensions remain the same as they were in designer but they are each centered and scaled to full frame

Any suggestions?

If you're exporting PSDs from Designer into Final Cut Pro there's an issue with artboards (and the ways artboards and layers have been implemented in the Affinity apps). Even if you use the PSD preset 'PSD (Final Cut Pro X)' your layers won't be exported intact as the artboards will be flattened and used as layers within the root of your document. The only way I've found to reliably export PSDs for Final Cut Pro is to not use artboards, meaning a new separate file is required for each and every composition you need to design. It's a shame because artboards would be a brilliant way to design and manage title/sequences for a video using one file, but until Serif fix the PSD export, and/or their artboard/layer model it's not possible to design them in this way.

Short version: Use a single file without artboards for each and every composition, then export to PSD using the  'PSD (Final Cut Pro X)' preset.

2 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

your layers won't be exported intact as the artboards will be flattened and used as layers

Perhaps we are going to be talking at cross purposes but.... Have you tried turning off the option Rasterize all layers. I just name the various layers and then turn that off and export the artboards  from the Export persona. True I wind up with separate PSD documents. But all my stuff is there.

1056098614_ScreenShot2022-11-25at9_03_36AM.png.cdb64bc869f450948548f328fdccfd2e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.