You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

brush selection ignored in next path

Thomahawk

mac monterey, affinity designer V2

there is still that bug that path brush setting is not repeated in next path. Even forcing it by "synchronize standard value from selected object" still when drawing the next object, the former brush selection is still ignored. Very annoying. This way the brush setting has to be repeated every time a new path is drawn. Impossible.

This is true of the pen tool (and frustrating but I don't think it's a bug), but not true of the vector brush tool that retains the brush setting. The use of the new style picker tool can allow you to quickly drop the style from your first line onto subsequent ones if you are wanting to draw using the pen and point to point bezier curves and shapes etc.

Draw and style the first line applying brush as you want it to appear. 

Draw the rest of your point to point lines, select all of these at once and then with the style picker pick up the style from your first brush style line and all will change. Or pick and drop individually if multiple styles.

Maybe not quite what we wanted but a huge improvement over going through various palettes and redoing all your choices.

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

• 4 weeks later...

Some things affinity does are REALLY REALLY mind bogglin. This is SUCH A BASIC FEATURE, any design software creator with a basic understanding of designer workflow does understand. You set a drawing tool and you will use those settings until you need other ones. OMG how hard is that to understand??

At least the Style Picker Tool was added, so that makes it easier to copy previously used styles.
But yeah, Synchronize Defaults From Selection should stick for the Pen/Pencil tools as well.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this helps or is the same thing you were experiencing, but I was having the same problem. Thought I was going crazy because every time I drew a new line it would default to a basic line even though I had a brush stroke selected. Then if I clicked on the brush stroke selection again in the options it would apply the stroke to the basic line. I couldn't figure out what was happening... The difference was there are two options under the pencil tool: pencil and vector brush. I am a total newb and I thought when I selected pencil and then the brush option that was enough. No, it has to be on vector brush in the submenu *under* pencil. They also behave differently in that when you use the pencil the stroke stays selected but when you use the vector brush it is deselected after the stroke. Figuring this out solved my problem, and I can now paint continuously with the stroke applied. But again I am just starting with this program and using the ipad/pencil in general so I might have mistaken your problem.