You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2 unable to open when away from network

Deaner666

I use Publisher at work whilst connected to my work's network. At the end of the day I often close down Publisher with files open that reside on the work network. When working from home I have no access to the work network. Prior to Publisher 2 this wasn't a problem, I would open Publisher and it won't show an error message saying it couldn't connect to the network but would then proceed to open as normal (just without that file open).

In Publisher 2 I get the error message, but when I click OK nothing happens. Until a few seconds later the error message appears again. This goes on forever and Publisher 2 never opens.

I'm now unable to use Publisher 2, presumably until I'm back in the office and can connect to the work network...

This is on Mac OSX Ventura.

Kind regards,

Dave Dean

There are options in both macOS (I think) and in the Affinity app to reopen the files that were open when you last closed the app. Sounds like you should turn those options off. But ideally after the time-out you would get behavior similar to in V1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

51 minutes ago, Deaner666 said:

As it is, I can't even open the app to change that setting! At least not until I'm back in the office and can connect to the network again (presumably).

Hold the Ctrl key while starting the App. Once you get the Clear User Data dialog you can release the Ctrl key.

Uncheck everything except the option that tells the app not to reopen documents at startup. Make sure that one is checked, and then click the Clear button.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hmm... that looked like a useful trick, and I got as far as the "Clear User Data" screen. Told it not to reopen documents but I'm still getting the exact same error dialog that just keeps coming back every time I dismiss it. Now I'm worried I still won't be able to get it open when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

Sorry it didn't work. But you might still need to disable the macOS system setting for reopening docs when the application starts. I think both have to be off (memories from prior discussions).

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 weeks later...

Has this been resolved? Working remote from the office and experienced the exact same issue... with Publisher, Photo and Designer 2. Programs won't open and constantly get error message saying can't connect to server.

This doesn't happen with Version 1, but of course now I've opened and saved with Publisher 2, I can no longer open the files!!

On 12/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, Deaner666 said:

This is absolutely still a problem...

Great. 

This is an Affinity 2 issue.

None of my other software does this, or Affinity version 1 for that matter. So I would therefore assume its got nothing to do with macOS... 

I've just downloaded the new update and the issue is PARTIALLY fixed. At least you can now open the program... but if you hover over the 'open recent' instead of open or close, the same network issue window appears and the software locks up, so you have to force quit.

@Deaner666. If you plan in advance and make sure your Publisher has all the files EMBEDDED and save to your laptop, you can now work remote.

I tried the save as a package to desktop, but there must be links remaining within the publisher file as the network issue re-appears.

Can we please get this issue fixed.. 

Same issue here since updating today, really really bad situation ...

publisher 2 (2.0.3.1674) tries to open a afp-fileserver which is not available anymore ... – app is unusable ...
In Version 2 (2.0.0) everything was fine.

workaround: Publisher beta 2 (2.0.3 1674) works fine 

Kind regards,

Jan

31 minutes ago, j_h said:

workaround: Publisher beta 2 (2.0.3 1674) works fine 

Perhaps it didn't have a network-connected file open when you last closed it?

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem as others: when I'm at work I use a shared NAS, but when I try and use Publisher at home I can't because it keeps looking for the office NAS every time it launches.  Before you ask - I don't have 'Reopen documents on startup' selected. Please fix this very frustrating bug.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 8:23 PM, BarryHayman said:

I'm having the same problem as others: when I'm at work I use a shared NAS, but when I try and use Publisher at home I can't because it keeps looking for the office NAS every time it launches.  Before you ask - I don't have 'Reopen documents on startup' selected. Please fix this very frustrating bug.

Still a problem. With all three apps. Any update on a fix?

Love this software, but I need to be able to open it to use it! I have to be connected to my network drive to be able to use it.

• 1 month later...

I'm having this issue too. I can't open any of the apps in the suite after disconnecting from a network (in my case, my NAS connected via ethernet).

I read this suggestion, but I did not leave a document open when I quit the app before disconnecting from the network. 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, walt.farrell said:

There are options in both macOS (I think) and in the Affinity app to reopen the files that were open when you last closed the app. Sounds like you should turn those options off.

I tried this, but it didn't help:

On 11/22/2022 at 9:28 AM, walt.farrell said:

Hold the Ctrl key while starting the App. Once you get the Clear User Data dialog you can release the Ctrl key.

Uncheck everything except the option that tells the app not to reopen documents at startup. Make sure that one is checked, and then click the Clear button.

The only band-aid I came up with is before disconnecting from the network, open each app and then click File | Open Recent | Clear Menu. 

I hope this is fixed soon!

Yeah I haven't found any useful workaround for this. I'll have to try your workaround @snarton. But frankly it's an absolute PIA. Affinity apps are basically geo-locked to my office at work – I can't use them anywhere else. Seems a bit ridiculous that this has been ignored for so long (4 months since I first reported it).

I've actually had to re-install Illustrator to work anywhere other than my office. Which really, really pains me.

On macOS you can remove the mru.dat file as another workaround: 

-- Walt
PC: