You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exclusion blending mode not working properly for linked raw layer

See the screenshots of the same operations done on JPEG and linked RAW layer.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Get a linked RAW layer (I didn't try embedded or just the legacy, maybe the same bug happens in those scenarios as well)

2. Get a rectangle layer and change the blend mode to exclusion

3. (Adjust the HSL color wheel if you wish, and then) change the opacity of the rectangle layer to something like 15%

4. See the result

Capture d’écran 2022-11-16 à 7.45.16 PM.png

Capture d’écran 2022-11-16 à 7.45.22 PM.png

I have had a bit of a play with this and it seems to be due to bit depth, the jpg has 8, the raw file has either 16 or 32 depending on your settings in develop assistant

I converted the colour depth of the problem file to RGB/8 and the problem went away.

image.png.022061b64a97b0aa5e59b8ecb42033da.png  image.png.26305db19e0bea2627a410bd717ba623.png

It is not working as expected, I do suspect a bit of a bug as this works correctly in V1 even for 32bit. In V2 it is the same issue if you develop as a pixel layer.  

It is only the blown highlights that have the effect. If you go back into develop and nudge them down the effect disappears. I suspect that because 16bit has a lot more colours than 8bit the blend mode is picking up the pure white more than it does in 8bit. I was clumsily trying to show the difference in my last post.

This might help until they get the bug fixed

• 2 weeks later...