You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

reverse "covert to curves"?

that's how it works in the way I do it. But I just thought, that maybe in V2 there is a possibility to turn to curves in non destructive way.

The circumstances are simple: I make some text which is not in the final version (so I maybe want to change it later). That's why I do not turn this text to curves, will I'm sure the text is ready. It would be greater, if I can just turn the text to curves (for not forgetting it later) AND adjust it later, if I must change the text.

Thanks for the extra information.

As far as I know there’s no way to go back to the original text to edit it after you have converted the text to curves other than saving a copy of the (non-converted) text and hiding it so that it can be edited later if need be (obviously, all edits to the previously edited curves will need to be re-done, or copied over, to the newly edited text).

Having said that, I’d be happy to be proven wrong as I would also find it useful to be able to do what you want to do.

• Staff

Hi @affinota,

19 minutes ago, affinota said:

Is there any non destructive possibility to reverse the "convert the curves"?

No, when you convert the text to curves it's no longer text and thus can't be edited or re-converted as such. You can as GarryP said create a duplicate of the text or recover the original text object from the History panel if you forget to duplicate it (assuming the History steps are available) but you will have to redo all effects you did if you change the original text you had.

The only way to keep it editable is by using non-destructive edits (adjustments, FX Effects, symbols) that do not require converting the text to curves. It's a bit more restrictive but still gives you some options. 

ok, so just as I've done before.

28 minutes ago, MEB said:

The only way to keep it editable is by using non-destructive edits (adjustments, FX Effects, symbols) that do not require converting the text to curves. It's a bit more restrictive but still gives you some options. 

But I can not make the text print ready (just saved as curves) with this edits, isn't it? Or is there a modern way to get a print ready text without converting it to the curves I missed?

6 minutes ago, affinota said:

Or is there a modern way to get a print ready text without converting it to the curves I missed?

The answer would be dependant upon what you mean by “print ready”.

There’s generally no need to convert text to curves to print it unless the printing process/service has some specific requirements.

If you can tell us more about what you are printing and how it is being printed then someone can probably advise further.

41 minutes ago, GarryP said:

There’s generally no need to convert text to curves to print it unless the printing process/service has some specific requirements.

hmm... I mean generally. If I print a poster with text and forms in PNG format or make a PDF for this purpose, I always convert text and forms to curves, for they should have the best resolution as vector. Or is there a better way to do that?

Fonts are composed of glyphs which are vector-based so the output of them will be vectors, unless you are exporting to a non-vector-based file type, but even then you shouldn’t normally need to convert them to curves for printing.

Just leave the text as ‘normal’ font-based text, without converting to curves, and see what happens.

You said you were printing your documents, and then mentioned PNG and PDF.

Now you are talking about sending SVGs to printers, and that’s a different thing.

And then there’s “save as SVG and import in to PDF” which sounds like a different thing again.

If you can tell us more about what you are doing then we can give you better answers; otherwise you are just ‘moving the goalposts’ and it’s difficult to give specific answers when the question keeps changing.

in what format do you deliver you files to a print shop, to get the best result?

These are all different things. The question is, what is the better way to get the best print result. And as I know, it is to get everything to vector and then go to the file format, that is needed by the print shop (sometimes it's PNG, sometimes PDF and so on). So if I get everything (except the photos) to vector, I can make a good quality PNG or PDF or whatever for printing. That's my understanding of it. But maybe I'm wrong with it.

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

When exporting the final file for print (PDF), go t to the very bottom of the Advanced tab in the Export dialog and select Text as Curves in the Embed fonts dropdown.

aaaah! So I have the possibility to do that just at the end with ALL the text. Wonderful! Thanks!