You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need to create a file for printing via Flyeralarm where a portion of the file will receive UV coating. I've done this before with other printers where you upload a separate file, highlighting in black what you'd like to receive the coating, but it's different with Flyeralarm and I can't figure out what I have to do: http://www.flyeralarm.com/sheets/en/gruss_qg_mass_uvl.pdf. I've included the design file I'm working with... I need the logo to receive the coating. Please help!

save the date_front.afdesign

Those instructions from Flyeralarm are extremely confusing. I can make some assumptions...it sounds to me like they want you to have the top layer as the varnish layer, rather than a separate file. In the varnish layer, you need to specify it as a special non-CMYK color, and the area needs to be 100% coverage. Also, they want you to have the layer set to overprint.

To be honest, I think they are asking you to do some of the things THEY should be doing in their pre-press preparation. You may need to ask somebody there for clarification, because making assumptions can sometimes lead to something you don't really want.

Well, yes, it probably is not specifically layer overprint but obviously the whole layer will be overprinted if the object/color on that layer is specified to overprint--that is the leap of logic I took in reading the instructions. In other graphic programs, I've been able to set parts of the file as overprint, regardless of layer or color. In fact, that is what some pre-press services do so that there are no issues with registration. Others use a dedicated software that automatically adds overprint areas because this is much faster than trapping all the edges in a file.

Hey guys … so I sat down for a while and tried the approach I know from AI and IND.

This is how I made my designs when there’s special finishing involved in the layout.

https://youtu.be/Prw53U4HfyU

Maybe this helps and you get the idea how to apply it to your design. :)

Cheers

Dennis

Edit: Oh, and here’s the file in case you want to study it. ;)

Card Example.afdesign

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

Hey, no problem, thanks! ;)

I think it’s getting recognized easier by the printer as a different/special type of colour, I guess.

I’m not really sure about that either, it’s just like I was educated like this, it’s a standard I think.

Maybe it’s because Pantone is just as special or similar in the production as the UV coating?

Hm, there should be official, international colour swatches for different coatings by now, would make things a lot easier. :)

Edit: I just tried a regular CMYK based colour instead of the Pantone swatch – works just as well! ;)

With the Spot and Overprint boxes checked, the CMYK-swatch gets handled as or converted into a fulltone/Pantone colour when exporting.

We have a Vutek printer and we have to set the white ink as a Spot Colour set as overprint and Named White_Ink this is a layer at the top.

Now as I read the instructions you have to create a spot colour with overprint and named varnish and have this as the top layer, The spot colour has to be 100%

Hope this helps

Adrian

Attached a file to show what I mean.

UV Spot.afdesign

Hey JevoUK,

the cyan varnish swatch is neither set as a Spot Colour nor Overprint Colour and there’s no actual layer called »White_ink« present in your provided document.

So right now it’d just print what’s displayed – that's a cyan rectangle with a magenta outline, no white ink would be used in this case.
(I currently don’t have the right colour profile installed, but fulltone colours/Pantone colours are displayed as a special channel in most profiles.)

post-5367-0-03698600-1453487077_thumb.png

According to your instructions the file should rather look like this, if I work along the specifications you’ve set. (Pay attention to the swatches and layers panel.)

post-5367-0-64410000-1453487085_thumb.pngpost-5367-0-51611700-1453487103_thumb.png

Here’s the file if you want to check. ;)

UV Spot White_ink.afdesign

Cheers

Dennis

MrDoodlezz

You are right I forgot to set the overprint on the cyan and place the squares in separate layers.

The file you provided was correct and on our Vutek printer the cyan would print as white, the rip software would recognise the White_ink swatch as white.

I assumed that the Flyeralarm rip software would recognised the varnish swatch as a special and print the varnish.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Adrian