You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to flow between L/R/L, .. Master Pages

In Affinity Publisher 2

I'm looking to create 2 text boxes on each page (top and bottom).  Being a book, each side of the page (left and right) needs a different text box placement (to allow for binding)

I see how to create facing master pages (left and right) , and to link so that left-top frame flows into right-top, and left-bottom flows into right-bottom

Thus, if the left side is page 1, text from the page1 top frame will flow into the page 2 top frame, and P1bottom into P2bottom. 

Q - how do I set it up so that when page 2 frames overflow -  they (a) automatically create new pages with that same master page setup and (b) the text from P2top flows into P3top, and P2bottom into P3bottom + P3top into P4top, P3bottom into P4bottom, P4 - P5, etc , etc?

thx

Edited by cgott42
additional clarification

Just set up your master pages like this. Click View > Show Text Flow if you're not seeing the text flow lines.

Apply this master to your first page. Paste in your text. Shift click the red overset icon (a triangle near the bottom right of the frame) and Publisher will create as many pages as you need, all linked together the way you want.

2075714174_Screenshot2022-11-11at9_58_12AM.thumb.png.38d39ce1130f94583e836fc4776669e7.png

Download a free PDF manual for Publisher 2.5

My system: Affinity 2.5 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I thought it was for two separate text flows, say French on top and German on the bottom.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

43 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I thought it was for two separate text flows, say French on top and German on the bottom.

I mis-read it, thank you for catching it. Two separate text flows top of page 1 to top of page 2 to top of page 3 etc. And bottom of 1 to bottom of 2 to bottom of 3 etc.

In that case, there's no way to do this automatically. Set up your frames like this and paste your text into the top and bottom stories on page 1. Both will now have red overset icons. Shift click one of them, let's say the top frame, and Publisher will create all the remaining pages and the top frames on all pages will be linked. But the bottom frames will not be linked and you'll have to link them manually.

394455487_Screenshot2022-11-11at11_09_19AM.thumb.png.db911133d00a82c662a7721eb8bfaf8a.png

Download a free PDF manual for Publisher 2.5

My system: Affinity 2.5 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@cgott42 and @MikeTO

Just did a quick test, first place/paste the text into the actual pages, top in top frame bottom in bottom. Then Click shift on the top frame's overflow indicator and then you have many pages with text in the top frame. Now Shift Click on the bottom frame's text overflow indicator and the text will flow into the bottom frames.

I set up three pages to start with, manually linking the page one to page two frames. I am not certain that this is necessary (belts and braces kind of fellow here). Might be important, I had named the frames Top Left, Bottom Left, Top Right and Bottom Right.

Note that I am on Mac, OS 11.7 and this is with the trial of Publisher 2 but I have done the same with Publisher's version one.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Just now, cgott42 said:

btw - HOW do I name the frames?

Use the Layers panel, double click on the area to the right of the thumbnail.