You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing rule above footnote crashes Publisher

geirrosset

Hi, I'm not experiencing this problem on an M1 Pro so there must be something in the document causing this problem.

Does it crash if you create a new document, draw a frame, insert a footnote, and then change the width and thickness of the rule above? If it doesn't, that lends credence to the idea that this is document specific.

Does it crash if you back up the document and delete all but one page and all of the overset text so you have just a single page before trying?

Is there any chance you could share the document or any part of it that causes the issue? I'd be happy to take a loo at it for you. If not, you may need to wait for Serif to provide a provide a dropbox link so they can review it.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, eworkflow said:

Well, crashing APub2 after manipulating footnote parameters is not limited to MacOS; It happens to me repetitiously on Win11, forcing the document's recovery.

Hi, are the exact same steps triggering the crash or is it that it's crashing in different ways while using footnotes? Are you able to share a sample document with steps?

The only replicable crash I've seen with footnotes is copying and pasting text embedded with footnote references. Of course that's something people need to be able to do regularly but for now I recommend saving before copying and pasting.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

My AffPub2 on Win11 crashes happened when I "played" with Notes / Footnotes / Custom / Bottom of Frame parameters (to learn their effect, so it was pretty random) while  I had cursor placed within the footnote, but I am not sure at this time what were the steps. I will try to follow it proactively.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 2:05 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi, are the exact same steps triggering the crash or is it that it's crashing in different ways while using footnotes? Are you able to share a sample document with steps?

The only replicable crash I've seen with footnotes is copying and pasting text embedded with footnote references. Of course that's something people need to be able to do regularly but for now I recommend saving before copying and pasting.

Same to me:
AP 2.0.4 with Windows 10

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 3:30 PM, geirrosset said:

Tried a new document with 1 note. No crash. Then opened the same document that had crashed multiple times. Now it did not crash. It fixed itself. That's good, I guess.

Hmm. Was that with Docement-wide or Custom. I don't have problems with Custom, but Document-wide with many footnotes is a serious headache.

• 1 month later...

This still seems to be an issue.
Today I posted this, before I found this thread:

It seems like this is a document specific bug.
When I create a new file and add a note to text i can change the rule above.
If I try the same with my document Publisher instantly crashes.
My Document consists of a imported Word file.