You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm very thankful for such a great alternative to ADOBE, however... and I mean it in the best possible way, without full support for CJK and Asian Languages in general, the full suit is interesting, usable up to a level, but no more than a pretty toy, professional work is very restricted.

Will there ever be full CJK support?, I mean much more than simply localized UI.

Can we actually expect a YES (not a polite "we are considering " or "we are working on it") in the near future?

Edited by Watanabe Carcass

• 2 weeks later...

According to what Serif staff said before, the text engine need to be rebuilt in order to fully support non-Latin languages including CJK.
It will be a huge project and it's hard to estimate when it will be done.

Also the number of Asian language users seems to be too low compared to the number of European language users.

So I suppose it's not near future.

16 hours ago, ashf said:

According to what Serif staff said before, the text engine need to be rebuild in order to fully support non-Latin languages including CJK.
It will be a huge project and it's hard to estimate when it will be done.

Also the number of Asian language users seems to be too low compared to the number of European language users.

So I suppose it's not near future.

I understand the technicalities of having to rebuild or expand the text engine. Regarding the market, it's a "egg or chicken" situation. Definitely the market is not large enough, but Serif could create a market, Serif is not the only company which struggles with CJK support, so the few options available are highly appreciated. One can only hope, Designer it's awesome, the same for Photo, however Publisher is basically unusable (at a professional level) without CJK support.

This is disappointing..... I sometimes have CJK needs too. But as long as I can get a few characters to display then I'm probably good.

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

13 minutes ago, Print Monkey said:

This is disappointing..... I sometimes have CJK needs too. But as long as I can get a few characters to display then I'm probably good.

Unless you need strict traditional Japanese typography for the Japan market, Affinity is sufficient.
I barely feel an inconvenience.

Yea I will probably only need this for "art text" that will tend to get converted to curves anyway, and prob not for paragraph typography of any sort.

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.