You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 not starting on Windows 11

MajaSk

I've just upgraded my Publisher from 1.10.4 to 1.10.5 and it won't start anymore, when I click at the app button nothing happens, when I have task manager opened, I see no process starting, so even if it does start it does so with no noticeable change, as if I didn't click on anything. I had HW acceleration on when the problem started, I have turned it off now but still no change. Other than that, I have tried reinstalling 1.10.4 (the only older version I have downloaded currently) also no change. I have seen a suggestion to revert to 1.9.2.(the version at which I initially did buy publisher) and turn off HW acceleration within the program, then upgrading however I don't have that version downloaded or a link to a download since you understandably "force" most current version in the download section on my account, I have an ongoing project I am working on in publisher so I would appreciate a prompt reply, thank you.

device    ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 SE GX551QR
cpu    AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics            3.20 GHz

gpu nvidia geforce rtx 3070 laptop driver version 516.94

RAM    32.0 GB (31.4 GB usable)
OS   64-bit os, procesor x64

Windows 11 Home
Version    21H2
Installed   ‎5/‎21/‎2022
Windows 1000.22000.1098.0

I update my system and graphics regularly however last update was over a week ago and no problems since then until the app update and I use the program on a daily basis.

I have also tried this fix Windows 11 Apps not Opening? Try These 7 Easy Fixes (windowsreport.com) on the other user the app did work, but I need it to work on my main user and the fix did not help with that I still get the same results both trying to run it normally and as an admin, I will try opening it on the other user, changing settings and try again, if I succeed I will reply, but until then anything you think of helps.

13 minutes ago, MajaSk said:

Tried deselecting HW acceleration within the program on other user and starting it on my own user, still no help.

The users would (I think) have separate settings, so that would be unlikely to help.

The FAQ on disabling OpenCL provides some ways that may work for you, which you could use on the user where it's failing:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome. Glad it worked. No idea why, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I assumed once the cl settings didn't work,  but the other user obviously did, that some of the other settings or preferences that are user based got messed up but didn't reset on reinstall, so since I already gave up on having my settings saved I tried copying the whole thing not to search for a specific setting that was messing things up, wouldn't use it as a go-to solution but since I need the program now it was an easy workaround over searching for the exact problem