You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Actual Size - Displaying Incorrectly AD 1.10.5

euronesia

Hi, I just noticed that lately my Designer is displaying Actual Size incorrectly. It doesn't display real size anymore.

Either I click manually through Zoom/Actual Size or using shortcut Command + 8, it keeps displaying larger size by 13mm.

I keep have to change display settings from Metal to Software and then back to Metal to get the Actual Size working correctly, but after a heavy load project the size goes off again by 13mm

Please Help

I've attached pictures of what I mean. One is current condition of my Affinity Designer and the correct size still works fine on Affinity Photo as show in the attachment.

ActualSize-ADesigner.jpg

ActualSize-APhoto.jpg

• Staff

Hi @euronesia,

Are you opening the same documents within both Designer and Photo?

I can see that your zoom level in Photo is 32% and in Designer is 100%, which would indicate these are differently sized canvases and wouldn't both match your physical paper. 

Does your document in Designer have bleed enabled? If possible, can you attach a copy of both files here for me? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Hi @euronesia,

Are you opening the same documents within both Designer and Photo?

I can see that your zoom level in Photo is 32% and in Designer is 100%, which would indicate these are differently sized canvases and wouldn't both match your physical paper. 

Does your document in Designer have bleed enabled? If possible, can you attach a copy of both files here for me? :)

Hi,

I tried with same file with same result, as for the attached files, it's just a blank new document (not even saved) size of A4 print paper.

So, I restarted the designer and just created new document of A4 size,... zoomed in then pressed command + 8. Usually it goes to exact size as the real paper when I placed it on the screen. But this time it just goes bigger. After I switched the display settings in Preferences from Metal to Software, it became sooo laggy but the size was right, then I switch it back to Metal and it works fine. (Of course I restarted Designer).

When Designer is working correctly, any project file I open, it works fine...
it seems that this happens when I work with heavy curves and stroke effects for a longer period of time. And then it goes off...

I don't know for how long will stay correctly this time though... usually I realised it when I need to see the real size of the layout... but it's kinda disturbing my work, I end up mis measuring the output layout size.

As for Designer bleed, No, I don't have bleed enabled.

Btw, I just noticed when I press "Command + 8" in Designer the zoom level goes to 100% and in Photo goes to 32.0% but both Actual Size views work correctly, and both new project files are in 300dpi.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me - I've created an A4 document in both Photo & Designer at set the zoom level 'Actual Size', in both apps the document matches the size of my A4 paper, when using either Metal or Software as the Display option.

11 minutes ago, euronesia said:

it seems that this happens when I work with heavy curves and stroke effects for a longer period of time. And then it goes off...

Although not for an extended period, I opened a document which is rather 'heavy' with vector objects and edited this using Metal as the Display renderer. At no point during or after my editing did the 'Actual Zoom' size change - so I'm unable to replicate this issue at this time.

Are you able to provide a copy of one of these 'heavy' documents that shows the issue for you?

Are you using a macbook pro/air, and do you regularly connect/disconnect external monitors?

Do you have display scaling enabled in System Preferences?

Many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

25 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Are you able to provide a copy of one of these 'heavy' documents that shows the issue for you?

Are you using a macbook pro/air, and do you regularly connect/disconnect external monitors?

Do you have display scaling enabled in System Preferences?

Many thanks :)

I will have to see in which particular project this appears because once I refresh it with switching from Metal to Software and back any heavy project I work on works fine again.

I'm currently using 2012 macpro with dual monitors and 16Gb of RAM, with Radeon RX580 8Gb maybe my machine is a it too old... because I also have problem with pencil tool which lags just after undoing a stroke after many strokes... and keeps happening during projects... when intend to replicate, I can't...  😁
I'll have to record it once it happens again.

btw, No I don't have display scaling enabled.

Hi @Dan C

Ok, I got into the same situation and I saved the project file for you to have a look.

What happen is I just opened Designer made a new project and tried Cmd+8, once saw the size is again incorrect I put some layer and saved the file. I tried switching between Software & Metal settings for Display as it work earlier... and apparently didn't work this time.

This time I also  tried opening the designer file in Photo, and when I did cmd+8 it gave me the same oversized display as in Designer. While that opened I tried to make a new project in photo with also A4 print size paper and it didn't show correctly.. it was also oversized. To add to it this time I also tried in Publisher and apparently it is having the same problem.  Last night was incorrect only in Designer.

Please advice.

AD-ActualSize-Incorrect.zip

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me! I've opened this on both my Mac and Windows PCs, in both Designer & Photo. On both platforms & in both apps, the document is displayed at the correct 'Actual Size' zoom value.

22 hours ago, euronesia said:

I'm currently using 2012 macpro with dual monitors

What size and resolution are these monitors please?

If you disconnect one monitor, then restart Affinity and try this again, is the expected zoom size used? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing that for me! I've opened this on both my Mac and Windows PCs, in both Designer & Photo. On both platforms & in both apps, the document is displayed at the correct 'Actual Size' zoom value.

What size and resolution are these monitors please?

If you disconnect one monitor, then restart Affinity and try this again, is the expected zoom size used? :)

They are 22" monitors, I'll try to disconnect one monitor and try your suggestion once the problem appears again.

At the moment I noticed that the problem goes away when I uncheck "Enable Metal Compute Acceleration" in performance preference, and restart Designer.
Then I check it on again, restart Designer and for now still works fine... 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that - please do let us know if you see different behaviour with one monitor connected.

23 hours ago, euronesia said:

2012 macpro with dual monitors and 16Gb of RAM, with Radeon RX580 8Gb

Just to verify, did you personally upgrade the macpro to the RX580, or was this included when you received the machine? I ask as there are macOS specific drivers that need to be installed for this card, and if outdated/incorrect drivers are used, this could explain unexpected behaviour with Metal enabled.

Please note -

Many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that - please do let us know if you see different behaviour with one monitor connected.

Just to verify, did you personally upgrade the macpro to the RX580, or was this included when you received the machine? I ask as there are macOS specific drivers that need to be installed for this card, and if outdated/incorrect drivers are used, this could explain unexpected behaviour with Metal enabled.

yes, I had to personally upgrade to RX580 because the original card got burnt out by lightning and can't find the exact replacement since he machine has been long discontinued. Btw, I have checked this problem doesn't happen in other graphic applications, only in Affinity, so I assume the drivers are working correctly.

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that for me - it's certainly possible that Affinitys' implementation of Metal Acceleration is accessing this GPU in ways that other creative applications do not, causing the issue you're seeing. This would likely also explain why I'm not able to replicate this on any mac here, as I don't have access to this specific card currently.

I will be logging this with our developers now, to be tested/investigated further - in the meantime I would recommend leaving this option disabled, should the issue return :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

20 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for confirming that for me - it's certainly possible that Affinitys' implementation of Metal Acceleration is accessing this GPU in ways that other creative applications do not, causing the issue you're seeing. This would likely also explain why I'm not able to replicate this on any mac here, as I don't have access to this specific card currently.

I will be logging this with our developers now, to be tested/investigated further - in the meantime I would recommend leaving this option disabled, should the issue return :)

Thank you for the reply, will have to do that trick for the time being.
Looking forward for Affinity new updates. 🙂

Cheers