You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer (Windows) Crashes on Export

• Staff

Many thanks for trying that and for the new report provided - this appears to still be crashing when accessing your GPU drivers, so I'd like to request the following:

• A copy of the file you're trying to export

• Screenshots/a screen recording showing the export settings you're using, and the cause of the crash

• A copy of your event viewer log, to generate this, do the following:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me - I can see some interesting info in the Event Viewer provided.

1. I can see you have AMD Adrenalin installed, and we've previously see certain versions of this app causing crashing in Affinity - what version of Adrenalin are you running currently please?

2. I can also see Gigabyte EasyTune is occasionally crashing, separate from Affinity - however we've previously seen ASUS Sonic/MSI Nahimic/RivaTuner causing issues when running alongside Affinity, so if possible I would recommend temporarily disabling this app/service to see if it changes your export behaviour.

3. When Affinity crashes, this is caused by your 'dwm.exe' crashing moments before - which is a Windows process that both the OS and Affinity uses. To attempt to resolve this crashing I'd recommend both an SFC and DISM scan:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094

I have also tried downloading your file here and performing these same steps and the app does not crash for me, FWIW.
Please do let me know if the above helps & many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan C,

To your question.

If I have the right AMD program the version lists as 22.Q3.

Looing at installed programs, I see no record of any ASUS Sonic programs installed.

I am running the "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth: command. The process reports a successfully completed operation.

The issue PC is in my work office. I have a like but slightly lessor AMD PC at my home office (AMD Ryzen 7 order gen, 64gb of RAM, and slightly older GPU) and I have seen none of the like Designer crashes when doing like work. The issue is specific to this PC, it hardware combination, or the like.

I will reboot and re-run my crash test.

Thank you,

Garret

Dan C, 

In the Program (standard and X64) found no "AORUS" listed programs. 

Do have the AORUS APP Center (not sure what the program files name may be).

Just did and update there was an AMD chipset update and updates to EasyTune and SIV.

Will reboot and try crash test again.

Thank you,

Garret

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response once again and many thanks for trying these steps for me!

On 11/3/2022 at 7:20 PM, Garret Rain said:

If I have the right AMD program the version lists as 22.Q3.

This isn't the known version of Adrenalin that causes issues, so there should be no issue with this driver version.

I'd like to try running Affinity Designer in a reset state on this PC, as it may be an incorrectly cached file causing this.

Please make sure Designer is closed, then open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\

In the window that opens, please select the 1.0 folder, then rename this to 1.0(Old) - now reopen Affinity Designer (you should see a new 1.0 folder is generated here) and the app should open with default settings.

Once opened, try exporting once again - does this still crash please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Dan C,

No problems, your help is greatly appreciated.

I followed the renaming of the 1.0 folder. When I open Designer the 1.0 folder was made. I signed back into Affinity and did my standard hallway photo export test.

As soon as I moved the JPG export quality sider the Designer and the PC crashed and went to the Windows blue screen. Photo attached.

Now,image.thumb.jpeg.0702fc93fc39ba2cd5232919a2c79e6b.jpeg

• Staff
51 minutes ago, Garret Rain said:

As soon as I moved the JPG export quality sider the Designer and the PC crashed and went to the Windows blue screen

That's certainly an interesting development - I can confirm the Affinity apps are not capable of directly causing a BSOD, so this is a good indication of the issue causing the crashing, but confirms it's not the Affinity app itself at fault.

The majority of information online for this stop code shown refer to System Files or drivers - both of which we've already checked above. 
Therefore can you please restart the machine in Safe Mode, then try these steps once more for me?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

My apologies, you can find steps on how to run in Safe Mode here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234#:~:text=After your PC restarts%2C you,for Safe Mode with Networking.

Once booted into Safe Mode, open the Affinity app and repeat the export dialog slider move. Does this still crash please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Dan C,

I wonder if MS could make getting into safe mode any more obtuse. Nonetheless, I did so.

So, when opening Designer nothing happened on two attempts; Designer did not open. I check the task manager and saw no Designer processing running. Trying a third time to open Designer the Designer splatch screen displayed on the screen for a moment and then vanishes. Designer did not open.

Not sure what this means, but something seems amiss.

Thank you,

Garret

Dan C,

An update. I updated to V2 and guess what? When I move to export to JPG Designer 2 crashed even before I move the JPG slider. 

Here is something strange. With Affinity Photo V1 or now with V2 I can export the same test image to JPG without an issue.

The issue is specific to Designer V1 or V2 in my setting.

Test Designer image and exported (via Photo) JPG attached.

Thank you,

Garret

CDT_Hallway.jpg

CDT_Hallway.afdesign

Dan C,

Update. As noted above I upgraded to Designer and Photo v2. In the last text Designer 2 still crashed when exporting the same (above) hallway test file. 

Since the last report, I uninstalled Designer and Photo v1, rebooted and ran the same test.

In this test, I exported the same hallway test file in Designer 2 without issue. I was able to move the JPG export quality slider back and forth and Designer 2 did not crash.

I will get back to work on my project with this PC using Designer 2 to see if the "fix" holds - fix being upgrading to Designer 2 and uninstalling Designer v1.

Thank you!

Garret