You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assets spontanously change line width on outlined text

RTI451

I'm a relatively new user to Affinity and thrilled to have found a great alternative to Adobe subscriptions. I am running Designer 1.10.5 on Mac OS 10.11.6 (Mac Pro 2011) and OS 10.15.7 (MacBook Pro 2019) and have been experiencing the same issue on both platforms.

I utilize the Assets feature to store the stamps I use for corporate accounting. The stamp consists of editable text elements as well as some outlined text. I note that when I drag the asset to a document (existing or new) it's always a gamble as to what I will see. Designer seems to randomly change the line weight of the outlined text. Sometimes it imports properly at 1 pt., but unpredictably it will change the weight anywhere from 0.4 pt to 4+ pts. I have tried replacing the assets, but the same problem persists. Is this something anybody else has experienced? I'm attaching a sample file below.

Accounting Stamp.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @RTI451,

Is it possible that you're adding  the assets to new documents which have a different DPI to the original document it was created from? Assets are stored with DPI information, for example:

1. In your 300DPI document, if I save your stamp group as an asset and add it into the document, it will retain the 1pt stroke on the curves it was originally.

2. If I create a new 144DPI document and add the same stamp into the document, the same curve now changed to a 2.1pt.

Hi NathanC:

Thank you very much for your reply. Being still relatively new to Affinity products, I had taken notice of the DPI notice that appears when I import a vector pdf document but haven't quite wrapped my head around how a vector has a set DPI since I always think of them of being infinitely scalable. I guess it comes down to how large the components are when they import and show on screen. With this in mind, it makes perfect sense that any mismatch of DPI settings between the asset and the document it's being added to could lead to a reset of line width. It's beginning to make sense, since I am adding the stamp to documents that no doubt vary in dimensional settings, resulting in what I perceived to be a "random" and unpredictable behaviour upon dragging the asset on. As such, it seems to me that the solution will be for me to expand the appearance of the outlines so that their width is permanently baked-in to the assets. I will give that a try.

Cheers