You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table formats appear locked

I am new to Affinity Publisher and upon my learning hill I came across trying to make a table.

The table itself, the numbers within and such, I managed to work out, but I am not firmly stuck on the formatting.

When I select a few cells I would like to have a particular fill then the Table-tool appears "locked" or "greyed out".

image.png.a9b9c3a946197b7f38e84d091cbfa598.png

I am guessing that at some point the table format has become "locked" and I need a way to be able to edit it.

Table formats will not be the way forward, as the expressions in the format are not regular, and the table format editor seems to like table formats that repeat every five lines. I need some sort of manual control, and I would appreciate any help in understanding how I "unlock" the table window so that I can edit the borders and fill of each individual cell.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums @Sierbahnn

Would you be able to supply the document which is causing you the trouble (and tell us which table you are having trouble with)?
If not, would you be able to supply a full-screen screenshot showing

• the Layers Panel open with the table layer which is ‘locked’ selected;
  • the Table Panel open while you are editing the table which is ‘locked’?

Thanks for the image.

Your Table layer is on a master page.
The blue crosses around the layer on the canvas tell you this and the fact that the table layer itself isn’t listed in the Layers Panel.

Do you want the table to be on the master page, so it will be repeated – with its contents – wherever you use that master page, or do you want the table to be in the ‘normal’ page where it can be edited by itself?

When I look at my Master Page the table does not appear there, and it does not appear on any other pages.

I edited as detached on that page previously, and I am guessing the table then slipped into the "local" master (the detached version of the Master page). I cannot seem to move the layer from the Master Layer onto the page layer. I would very much like to. How would I accomplish moving it onto the "normal" page?

Heck, I would settle for a way to remove it from the master layer and redo it, but it seems "Delete" for the table element in the master layer list is also greyed out.

Edited by Sierbahnn

1 hour ago, Sierbahnn said:

I edited as detached on that page previously, and I am guessing the table then slipped into the "local" master (the detached version of the Master page). I cannot seem to move the layer from the Master Layer onto the page layer. I would very much like to. How would I accomplish moving it onto the "normal" page?

Use Edit Detached, again, on that document page. then you will be able to drag the layer out of the Master A layer to where it is supposed to be.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the hint also from my side. I'm also newbie to Affinity Publisher and this hiccup costed me hours to figure it out. Happens so easy to drag a table frame by accident into a master page frame ... and then can't drag it out anymore... The table feels like glued to the ground. Nothing can move or change the table anymore. All options appear greyed out.

Luckily I found your solution.