You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[black] Color Panel, not a bug for Serif but for all Designers

3joern

Dear Serif/Affinity Team, 

I never tire of bringing up the subject, and now that experts from the print sector are also commenting on it, I want to go over it again here.
In a "professional" layout programme that is mainly used for printing, Affinity Suite's handling of colours is the worst I know, only Word is worse when it comes to printing colours. How is it possible to select Hex and RGB colours in a CMYK profile? it looks completely different when printed and that is no way to work. 
But the worst are constant problems with black, whether with 100 black in fonts (the Black Colours Palette makes a 4c black also for all gradations, really?).
If you want to print black and white images with a printer who also does the proofs, you can only get a colour accurate result if you create the black and white images in 4c, because the publisher can only manage one colour profile, but not 2 for a mixed workflow (4c and bw images).
I had massive problems with the different handling of colours the last time I tried to make an architecture book with Publisher. Whether it was colouring bitmap tifs, colour accurate greyscale images or the font being 4c when choosing the black of the black colour palette. You can't work professionally like that. Also the fact that you can't create a global programme palette (so you could at least reduce the black problem) to at least have a global CMYK palette like it is standard in Quark or Indesign, is in my eyes a bug in a layout programme. 
Sorry for grumbling, the rest is certainly getting better and better, but this is about basics for a print workflow, which are essential for a layout programme.

As described above, other experts from the print sector also talk about this (with automatic translation on the youtube site more understandable)

I don’t understand this post. As you state yourself, this behavior is well known in the forum as current implementation limitation, and not a bug. Your YouTube video is explaining this in epic breath, including known workarounds. The handling of colors is quite uncomfortable, but again documented, well known, and giving you a great cause for complaining on youtube and generating traffic and possibly ad revenue. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.