You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[RESOLVED - Thanks Lee Thorpe] Fill tool (gradient) fills entire screen - not my custom x & y dimensions? (vid & images inside)

I’m following a photoshop tutorial, but 80% of what I know in Affinity Photo is from following Rikard’s photoshop tutorials on his Nucly youtube  channel, been learning this way for over a year now.  With that out of the way… here’s my issue:

His gradient only fills up the x and y axis dimensions of the line he creates (this is what I am trying to accomplish):

My fill tool (gradient) is disrespectful… it takes up the ENTIRE screen, instead of just the x and y dimensions of my line, I’ve also tried linear, radial,.. etc. None of these help:

At first I thought this issue of the gradient filling up the entire screen was occurring, due to fill context option, selected on the lower left:

57E99BD5-145F-4B87-820F-6D3EB76271FC.thumb.jpeg.3d06ed0c9048dc8532c5f2081bd816c0.jpeg

So I then chose line context and nothing happens when I tap, long press or swipe my apple pencil along the screen to draw out a line, instead I’m greeted by a green line and a green dot. 

4F048CE8-F70D-480A-9275-AACC6CCA6F74.thumb.jpeg.5f4b10aa5b3dbe4b8928bb4c70173dea.jpeg

I even tried adding a pixel layer put a marquee rectangle on it, created the gradient within the marquee rectangle, and I’m greeted with a HARD EDGE (and it’s on soft light blend, it only gets worse on screen or overlay):

C90D5D5C-17D9-40ED-BFE8-CB2245ED75AD.thumb.jpeg.45ac78cd2bc52e8d943f0c7cb57ab618.jpeg

Is it possible… to get the gradient to just fill up the x and y dimensions of my line… just like the first video in my thread?

FYI: blend don’t work whether soft light, screen or overlay… does not help, because the gradient is still covering up my entire screen.

I HOPE this is me lacking know how, instead of an app limitation.

Any help appreciated, thanks. 

If needed, file to the project:

Depth Tutorial.afphoto

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• Staff

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

For this, you need to make both edges of the gradient transparent,, and create a central node on the gradient line and colour it grey, you can add further nodes in the centre to smooth the gradient if it appears too sharp.

Lee

16 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

For this, you need to make both edges of the gradient transparent,, and create a central node on the gradient line and colour it grey, you can add further nodes in the centre to smooth the gradient if it appears too sharp.

Lee

Thank you @LeeThorpe 

I was confused at first your response, but I figured it out. THANK YOU very much! 

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt