You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

JPEG XL (.jxl) import and export support in Affinity Photo

There's been a few threads on these forums about JXL but no real feedback from Serif on their plans other than an answer that it might happen some day.

I really do think Serif should consider JXL seriously and be a first mover in regards to this format. The reasons for supporting JPEG XL is many, a new actually great format for >8bit final export, possibility of lossless quality, transparent conversion to JPEG for compatibility, better compression and more. Some sources: source 1, source 2.

The reason I think Serif should be a first mover in regards to this format is that no new format will ever get the chance at dethroning JPEG from it's role if nobody ever implements it in their software. Browsers do support JPEG XL (JXL) but the enablement is hidden behind browser flags currently, partly because nothing else supports JPEG XL at this time.

51 minutes ago, ATP said:

but no real feedback from Serif on their plans other than an answer that it might happen some day.

That is about the best answer you will get. Serif generally does not discuss their future plans.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

That is about the best answer you will get. Serif generally does not discuss their future plans.

Which is fine and I completely understand why, but that also made me do the post to put my vote in for the feature. It's the best we can do without knowing anything about future plans.

7 minutes ago, ATP said:

but that also made me do the post to put my vote in for the feature. It's the best we can do

Asking/voting is fine, but you didn't have to create a new topic. Better would have been to add your voice to one of the several other Feedback topics asking for JPEG XL support, which are easily located using a forum search like this one (followed by a little manual pruning by scanning the topic titles):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=JPEG XL&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=55

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 2 weeks later...