You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting is greyed out on my products. I still use windows 7 but my hardware runs windows 10 and much more. Graphics very high end.

56 minutes ago, GoaTrance said:

Why does inpainting not even seem an option

Hard to say, but...

Edit > Inpaint requires a selection on a pixel layer (not an image layer) selected in the Layers panel

If that is what you are doing then please upload a full-sized screenshot showing the Layers panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi @GoaTrance,

As Carl has mentioned:

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

Edit > Inpaint requires a selection on a pixel layer (not an image layer) selected in the Layers panel

If your layer is an (Image) then inpainting is not available. Please right click this layer and select Rasterise to convert it to a (Pixel) layer.

Does this allow you to use the tool as expected? 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi, and thanks for that. It's a real shame such information is not explained in any tutorial. The function works perfectly after understanding how to get there.

It's really very good! Thanks for your prompt replies. I do have to say that an 'undocked' function selection tool on a screen which was off, certainly made this a long process.

If affinity/serif read this stuff, I do think it is important to 'set the stage' before publishing a feature (if you don't know how to get there).

Thanks guys. Kindest regards.

Just out of interest if you are able to answer. An image is a load of pixels. why does an image need to be rasterised to become a pixel layer? I've been in IT in networks/programming and software test for 35 years and this surprises me.

Kindest Regards.

1 hour ago, GoaTrance said:

why does an image need to be rasterised to become a pixel layer?

Why an image layer does not behave like a pixel layer is probably one of the most confusing/frustrating issues that new users to the Affinity software encounter

Image layers have some advantages over pixel layers but for a lot of people who don't need those specific advantages then rasterising the image layer so it becomes a pixel layer is just something you get used to doing very quickly in your daily use of the software

The attached video goes some way to explain some differences with "pixel vs image layers" but it fails to explain the reason behind some common issues users have with image layers, such as trying (and failing) to copy/paste a selection from an image layer to a new Layer. (Whereas Copy Flattened/Paste does work!)

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/365012457/

See also

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Layers/layerImage.html?title=Image layers

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/146720-image-layer-and-pixel-layer/#comment-817088

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Please ignore my most recent comments (since Tuesday) - it is an age thing. My eyesight isn't perfect and I didn't see the ticked 'lock' box for the layer until I really had a good look. That would prevent doing what I was trying to do I expect. Why there was no warning about the image being locked when trying to do stuff is surprising.

The image I wanted to perfect, for a friend, was successfully completed.

Thank You.