You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Lag When I'm Moving the Objects

Anybody know what is the issue? I've been using Affinity Photo for a year and never have a lag issue like in the video. The layers are not too crowded and not too heavy either. I'm testing with almost no picture, just background and feel the same. It became stuttered. How can i solve this issue? Thanks

• Staff

Hi @Muhammad Alfadino,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Firstly, the number one cause of slow performance in Affinity is outdated Graphics Card drivers. Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers 
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/support

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.

If that doesn't help, please open Affinity Photo then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog.

Now, restart the app as prompted and try editing your document once again. Does this improve the responsiveness for you? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Currently i'm using the latest driver of Nvidia as a GPU and AMD as a CPU (RTX 3060, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H). I'm also already untick the Hardware Acceleration and still have the same issue. I found previous forum who might be have the same problem as i am. Here are the links

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/147458-affinity-photo-works-very-slow-and-unaccurate-after-update/page/2/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/87485-affinity-photo-lagging-while-moving-objects/

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know - I'd recommend performing a 'clean install' of your Nvidia drivers, as I've also seen previous drivers being 'left behind' on a system which can cause slowdowns in Affinity.

You can find out how to perform a clean install here - https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/connectivity-and-performance/article/clean-installation-of-nvidia-drivers/000063728

Thank you also for the links provided, however they don't seem to be pertinent here.

The first link provided was originally created in 2019, and the OP confirms that disabling Hardware Acceleration fixed their issue - this is also relating to older versions of the Affinity apps that had known issues with Hardware Acceleration shortly after we first released it. The apps have since been updated since then with improvements to OpenCL, so these reports should not be compared to your current behaviour (1.10.3 and previous versions compared to 1.10.5)

Equally, the latest posts in this thread confirm a different issue being reported and it was determined this issue was with Windows 10, and not the Affinity app.

The 'lagging while moving objects' thread confirms that the 1.10 update resolved this issue for the specific user, and the user below this confirms that disabling hardware acceleration helped resolve their issue.

This second thread also confirms if you have a large sized canvas, with multiple pixel layers, adjustments etc then a delay is expected when moving all layers, due to the complexity of the operation.

Are you able to provide a screenshot of your settings under Edit > Preferences > Performance please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 8/12/2022 at 7:27 PM, Dan C said:

This second thread also confirms if you have a large sized canvas, with multiple pixel layers, adjustments etc then a delay is expected when moving all layers, due to the complexity of the operation.

Maybe this is the problem. I have 1920x1080 canvas. With every layer minimum up to 2000x2000 but no adjustment placed. Is it because multiple layer with large pixel could cause the problem? My lagging problem is actually not only happened on Affinity, my video editor such as Premiere Pro have the same issue and i have no complex effects, only green screen and caused lag and stutters

Edited by Muhammad Alfadino
Adding information

• Staff
On 8/13/2022 at 2:06 PM, Muhammad Alfadino said:

is it recommended to install driver from the manufacturer itself?

Yes, we always recommend installing the driver directly from the manufacturer, to ensure you have the latest drivers installed. Updating through Windows Updates or similar automatic update services usually will use a driver that is 1-2 versions behind.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:05 PM, Muhammad Alfadino said:

image.thumb.png.a1f4ab3516bbe20f3eb9a31df6fff46b.png

Thanks for providing this for me! I'd also recommend making the following changes:

View Quality : Nearest Neighbour

Use Precise Clipping : Disable

Retina Rendering : Low Quality (Fastest)

As this should hopefully speed up the rendering time of the canvas.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:14 PM, Muhammad Alfadino said:

Is it because multiple layer with large pixel could cause the problem?

Multiple large pixel layers will be slower to edit than Vector layers, for example, due to the amount of data you are manipulating. 

Please note -

Many thanks!

19 hours ago, Dan C said:

As this should hopefully speed up the rendering time of the canvas.

It is quite faster than before. But it still feel pretty laggy.

19 hours ago, Dan C said:

Multiple large pixel layers will be slower to edit

Since you said multiple large pixel layers will be slower to edit, and my project as an example.

Anyway, thank you so much for discussing this problem, Dan. Really appreciated