You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo running on Linux with Bottles

aronkvh

10 minutes ago, ElementalWarrior said:

I had had issues running v1 with opengl in the past. Lots of flickering. That was last year, and wine changes may have it run better. Vulkan ran alright, probably the same performance as v2.

yep, the flickering is my main issue too, the other stuff I could get used to.

23 minutes ago, TotallyNotARobot said:

My experience running v1 as of January 2023 was that I was unable to save files, but basic editing worked. I'm not sure if it was related to Wine, Flatpak or another component. Details are earlier in this thread if someone's interested.

My fix for saving was merged to wine master back just before wine 8.1. So saving would work now.

3 minutes ago, ElementalWarrior said:

If you run it with winetricks renderer=vulkan it wouldn't flicker, but its performance isn't what you would get natively with windows.

Or LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 wine … to just test it, although I'm still not sure if MESA levees GPU completely untouched.

14 hours ago, ElementalWarrior said:

If you run it with winetricks renderer=vulkan it wouldn't flicker, but its performance isn't what you would get natively with windows.

Ah that works much better now, thanks!

13 hours ago, aronkvh said:

how do I set that in Bottles?

Settings, Advanced Display Settings, Renderer, Vulkan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, aronkvh said:

unfortunately 1.10.5 and 1.10.6 flicker with Vulkan too.

from my experience, opengl should gives you a more stable rendering, and vulkan can flicker quiet a bit but the performance is overall better, also you can move the window around for it to refresh and limit flickering

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

There are basically 3 implementations of graphics rendering.

- dxvk

-vulkan

-opengl

If you install dxvk to your wineprefix, it will overtake the latter two.

If you set winetricks renderer=vulkan or renderer=gl without dxvk. You will use vulkan or opengl respectively.

I also run an AMD processor/gpu. So my experience may be different than yours.

16 hours ago, aronkvh said:

I built your branch, but how do I run the installer with it? can I use this as a Bottles runner somehow?

the "Guide" i made is using a script named "rum" to do a something similar to bottles multiple "runners" but in command line

if you prefer bottles anyway, add your compiled files to bottles in your bottle directory/runners/yourbuildname ¹

afterward, try making a bottle and installing dotnet48 and allfonts in the dependency tab of said bottle, install affinity

last time i tried didn't work because of bottles not writing some(lots) of registry keys, installing dotnet48 and corefonts with winetricks in the WINEPREFIX bottle created did the trick for me

¹ your bottle directory is either :

~/.local/share/bottles/
if bottles was installed natively or something like :

~/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/
if it was installed via flatpak

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, nugetchar said:

I have never seen such a thing, does anyone have any clue?

the way bottles is installing dotnet is incomplete, see this part of the guide i wrote

EDIT : the whole topic has been mostly moved to

and here's the link for the up to date guide (also is in my signature right below this message)

Edited by Wanesty

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, mkulin11 said:

Can we start some sort of petition to get a .deb and .rpm installer for linux users?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

A petition to whom? If you mean to Serif, they have been quite clear that neither V1 nor V2 is supported on Linux, and they do not have any plans at this time to provide such support. That would also mean, I think, that they would not be interested in trying to package it for Linux users.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

On 9/22/2023 at 4:54 AM, mkulin11 said:

Can we start some sort of petition to get a .deb and .rpm installer for linux users?

If you volunteer to maintaining such installer, you can prepare RPM or DEB installer for yourself ;-)

So as reported already, initial dxcore patch was added to Wine I_DONT_KNOW_WHICH. Wine 8.16 i guess. So I've tested functionality of unpatched vanilla Wine on Fedora:

AffinitOne_1.png.20366f5e215a9f707e65b3cddf690171.png

It WORKS out-of-box! For Affinity ver. 1 no more compilation needed. Of course so long as dependencies are satisfied:

• binary drivers for your GPU installed and properly used
  • .NET Framework 4.8
  • corefonts for basic functionality
  • and I strongly recommend using Vulkan driver as default Wine D3D driver is still experiencing UI flickering

Dependencies could be installed using winetricks or of course manually (if you know how).

Installation might still be little tricky as Serif was able to produce installer not compatible with dotnet48 (it crashes) so I recommend Mono package  from your repository prepared at least for installation. After installation Mono can be removed. Tested just Affinity Photo 1 as I do not own license for version 1 and have only installer for Photo by my hand. Guess there shouldn't be any issue running any Affinity application from version 1 Suite. Any distribution of your choice.

For binary package on Fedora I recommend just watching koji. Package should be prepared very soon, literally any minute. On any other distribution simply wait, until patched version will bubble up to mainstream repository.

Technically next Fedora Design Suite might be prepared to allow running Affinity Suite (ver. 1) but I'm not very much fan of GNOME 3 Desktop Environment so if you have any other recommendation, I'm one big ear.

Did you try saving your file? I know a patch was submitted for it, but a few weeks ago I still couldn't on some version of Wine GE Proton 8 (I think 8.7 or 8.14).

Maybe I just need to run the latest development build for it, not sure. Since I'm on Ubuntu I currently use Bottles to install Wine versions, and the most recent version I can use is Wine GE Proton 8.14. It doesn't look like they support vanilla Wine.

20 minutes ago, TotallyNotARobot said:

Did you try saving your file? I know a patch was submitted for it, but a few weeks ago I still couldn't on some version of Wine GE Proton 8 (I think 8.7 or 8.14).

Yep. Works pretty fine. Just as exporting files (PNG/JPEG). Or at least in Photo. MoveFileTransactedA bug is closed for some time. Thanks to James McDonnell aka @ElementalWarrior. You just need recent enough Wine.

26 minutes ago, TotallyNotARobot said:

Since I'm on Ubuntu

I don't use Ubuntu, i avoid Ubuntu and I have very good reason for that.

13 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Yep. Works pretty fine. Just as exporting files (PNG/JPEG). Or at least in Photo. MoveFileTransactedA bug is closed for some time. Thanks to James McDonnell aka @ElementalWarrior. You just need recent enough Wine.

I don't use Ubuntu, i avoid Ubuntu and I have very good reason for that.

Closed means it wasn't merged. You want this link: https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/merge_requests/1444/diffs. This was merged.