You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because the file could not be written to

I'm using Photo 1.10.5 on a macbook pro running Monterey OS.
I created a new document and placed 3 separate files into it so they're embedded. I opened and edited these on the fly.
When I try to save the document I get "Save failed because the file could not be written to".
I've tried save as, saving to different locations such as desktop but no luck. A file is actually created when I try to save but if I try to open it I get "file type not supported". I've also tried copy-pasting the embedded files into a new document but I get the same problem when I try to save this.
And as I'm writing this.... Affinity Photo quit unexpectedly! I reopened, recovered the document, it opened with a few last changes missing and.... I was able to save it!

So, problem solved for now but I had to wait for it to crash to fix it!

• Staff

Hi @pablo999

Welcome to the forum.

In regard to the saving issue, please could you advise if Photo appears in the list under  either System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Files and Folders or Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access?

Could you also try unchecking Metal/OpenCL Compute Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and seeing if this helps. 

If this does not resolve your issue then please could you attach your crash report, the link below will advise you of the file location.  

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/&tab=comments#comment-529428  

5 hours ago, EmT said:

Hi @pablo999

Welcome to the forum.

In regard to the saving issue, please could you advise if Photo appears in the list under  either System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Files and Folders or Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access?

Could you also try unchecking Metal/OpenCL Compute Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and seeing if this helps. 

If this does not resolve your issue then please could you attach your crash report, the link below will advise you of the file location.  

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/&tab=comments#comment-529428  

Thanks for the reply!

After it crashed and I restarted it has been working ok and able to save(so far).... I didn't save the crash report

I did look at Security & Access settings. Photo did not appear in either but I've now added it. I unchecked Metal Compute Acceleration as well.

Seemed to be working ok even without doing these but will update if any further issues.

Affinity Photo-2022-07-27-004423.ips

On 7/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, EmT said:

Here's the crash report, I missed the instructions before.

The problem has returned again: "Save failed because the file could not be written to" Its the same file as before now with 5 embedded files

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @pablo999

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, whilst I look into the crash report, please could you advise if the files are being saved locally or to a network drive, cloud storage system or external drive?

• Staff

@pablo999

Can you get a copy of the crash report from the window that appears when the app crashes? As it gives some more information

Do you get the same issue if you try and save a new file without any embedded documents? Also, can you provide a copy of this file so we can try to replicate the issue. 

When was the last time you restarted macOS, if you've not done this recently then could you try this and see if the issue reoccurs.