You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there packages of basic hatch, bricks, etc for Affinity Pro?

I'm doing some architectural graphics and need just some basic fill patterns. I've watched the tutorials on how to use them but unless I'm missing something, I'm not finding any that come in Affinity Photo. I've searched but not turned up any. Not sure if I am looking for vector or bitmap. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing. Can anyone recommend a fill pattern package? Are PS ones compatible? TIA

• Staff

Hi @Les Wilson,

Affinity Photo doesn't have any built-in brick patterns, however if you do want a raster fill, you can certainly create one using the Stock Studio and Pattern Layers :)

To do this, I did the following -

• Open the Stock Studio and search for your required texture, I simply searched for 'brick'
  • Drag and drop the image of your choice onto the canvas
  • Navigate to the Layers Studio, right-click on the Image you've just added and select Rasterise
  • Select the Rectangular Marquee Tool and create a selection around the bricks you wish to repeat (this may take some trial and error to get a 'clean' repeat, depending on the texture image and your rectangular selection location) 
  • With the selection active, navigate to Layer > New Pattern Layer from Selection
  • Nest the newly created Pattern Layer within the object you wish to fill, then use the Move Tool to adjust the scale etc for the pattern.

I've attached a quick screen recording showing this below, please ignore my basic attempt at a house outline!

Is this what you're hoping to achieve?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Les Wilson said:

the classic criss-cross and box hatches (see attached) are mostly what I need

Thanks for confirming that for me!

Unfortunately the Affinity suite doesn't currently natively support Vector Patterns such as these, however I'd recommend checking out the below threads & symbols tutorial, where workarounds are suggested by other users:

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!