You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TOC "Export as PDF Bookmarks" does not preserve heirarchy

I have a Publisher document where I am relying on the Table of Contents "Include as PDF Bookmarks" functionality to produce a hierarchy of PDF bookmarks, but it appears to be experiencing problems -- while all the bookmarks are present, and in more or less the right order, the heirarchy is completely scrambled -- main headers are shown as children of unrelated lower headers, and many "Header 3"s are being shown at the top level as well.  The Table of Contents itself is completely correct, but the hierarchy is also screwy in the Anchors panel, so it's probably something related to that.  I've tried unchecking the "Include as PDF Bookmarks" box and removing all anchors and then rechecking the box, but that didn't help.  I also have an earlier version of this file that does not appear to have this issue, but I'm not clear on why it is happening. My suspicion is that it might be related to the fact that some of my headers have the same names, but that is mostly speculation.

Publisher version 1.10.5.1342

It may be related to location in a particular Page's Layer panel structure. The bottom layer is number one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It may be related to location in a particular Page's Layer panel structure. The bottom layer is number one.

My understanding of Layers is imperfect -- I've never deliberately added a new layer, so the only things in my Layers panel are the page objects, sometimes in groups.  Would this still be the cause of this issue?

9 minutes ago, mpureka said:

My understanding of Layers is imperfect -- I've never deliberately added a new layer, so the only things in my Layers panel are the page objects, sometimes in groups.  Would this still be the cause of this issue?

If you could show us a pages that has the problem, and the Layers panel with the relevant layers visible, it might help.

Even better would be a sample .afpub document that has the problem that we could look at.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you could show us a pages that has the problem, and the Layers panel with the relevant layers visible, it might help.

Even better would be a sample .afpub document that has the problem that we could look at.

Sure. Here's the first couple of pages from the problem document.

Note that in the Anchors panel (and in the PDF export if you do it) that "Game Concepts" is for some reason nested under "A note on Police" even though in the Table of Contents, they display the way you would expect.

Anchors Problem.afpub

19 hours ago, mpureka said:

Sure. Here's the first couple of pages from the problem document.

Thanks. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it definitely seems odd.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it definitely seems odd.

Having done a little testing with an older version, it appears to be a result of some interaction with "Include as PDF Bookmarks" as I have and older version that has that turned off (which is, in itself a little odd because I thought it had been on for a while) which has the bookmark hierarchy correct, but missing some newer headers.  If I open that version of the document and check the box for "Include as PDF Bookmarks" it messes up the hierarchy.

I thought at first it might be related to having two headings with the same name, but that doesn't seem to be the case -- if I change one and then enable the checkbox, I still see the same behavior.

Would it be helpful to have a "before" version of the document to experiment with?